All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st rd done of grafting complete.

I think the key is good rootstock and good scion wood. After that just some practice and technique. Its live and learn I still have about 20% of my grafts with no sign of bud break so just be patient

I believe I had good rootstock and scion, my technique was not always flawless certainly, hopefully I get at least a 75% success rate!

If you get 75% on your first attempt then that is awesome. Good news is that you still have the rootstocks to use next year assuming your roots are still alive. I had 4 rootstock fatalities last year so its not always about the grafting. That's why NH said to leave some growth from the rootstock until you are sure your scion will live

If you get 75% on your first attempt then that is awesome. Good news is that you still have the rootstocks to use next year assuming your roots are still alive. I had 4 rootstock fatalities last year so its not always about the grafting. That's why NH said to leave some growth from the rootstock until you are sure your scion will live

Yep, leaving at least 1 bud on each rootstock.

Well guys i'm pretty disgusted with myself at this point. The results so far from what I grafted on 3/26 are 1 success. All but 2 of the 15 rootstocks processed that day have woken up.

Here is a picture of the successful honeycrisp cleft graft on M7 from Cummins.

photo%2012_zpsfimzryuk.jpg

This rootstock which was the first to wake up is about 6 inches tall already, B118 from Cummins. (originally woke up 4/5)

photo%2021_zpsc3s51fea.jpg

I did a lot more grafted on 4/9 and later but this first batch with only being 6 days short of a month is a complete disaster. I still hold faith but i'm waning in my belief.

Crazy enough a rootstock planted 4/13 (antonovka from raintree) has woken up already.

I can't put these outside at least until 4/29 either as thats the last time it dips below 32 at night. Today starts a week long cold spell before it returns back to expected temps.

Well as long as my rootstocks life i'm ok with it i'll just continue to graft to them every year until something takes. :)

I didn't go in thinkin 75% but was just hoping maybe 50% for my first time. I've just always has success with growing stuff, natural green thumb type. Just a bitch slap of reality I guess was needed.
128546690837.jpg

I think the first time I grafted I had 2 of 10 survive.

Glass half empty kind of guy, expect to fail so your constantly surprising yourself, lol.

Buck if that long bud on the rootstock is not the only one I would pinch it off as long as you have another since it is taking all the energy from the roots now and probably not letting any or much get to the scion. Just an FYI I have also waited 8 weeks to have some pop so hang in there!! Look at the bright side you got one Honeycrisp that you made from your bare hands dude!!!!:D

Heading out to garage to graft 15 P18's

Buck if that long bud on the rootstock is not the only one I would pinch it off as long as you have another since it is taking all the energy from the roots now and probably not letting any or much get to the scion. Just an FYI I have also waited 8 weeks to have some pop so hang in there!! Look at the bright side you got one Honeycrisp that you made from your bare hands dude!!!!:D

Oh don't get me wrong i'm glowingly looking at the honeycrisp like i'm a badass. There were 2 buds that broke on that one rootstock that is really tall, I pinched the other off 2 weeks ago, so now this one eats all the energy, not sure what I can do differently.

An optimist sees a glass half full of lemonade, a pessimist sees a glass half empty of lemonade, a realist sees a glass of lemonade and says "I think that's pi$$". I'm a realist

As long as we all have a good time with this stuff its all fun. I've enjoyed the process immensely, just hoping for a few upticks of % success. :)

yes its a polish rootstock about the size of B118 got the grafts done about an hour ago :D

Oh don't get me wrong i'm glowingly looking at the honeycrisp like i'm a badass. There were 2 buds that broke on that one rootstock that is really tall, I pinched the other off 2 weeks ago, so now this one eats all the energy, not sure what I can do differently.
You can pinch that one too if you like and take a chance. Might be another one popping somewhere or even a scion popping !!!!

Well its 4/29 and I have 14 of 16 grafts that failed for sure of the 1st batch I did, 1 is successful, 1 is undetermined. Those were completed on 3/26. Having trouble adjusting to sunlight right now but hopefully they'll make it, checking on my others in the basement tonight after making myself wait a few days.

My first batch included a repeated error over and over until the last 2 (1 of my successful grafts). I didn't snip the ends of the rootstock off (I didn't know I needed to), mistake....... :(

Oh, well maybe I spoke to soon, I guess just when the rootstock on some is 4-8 inches of growth its hard to envision the buds swelling on the scion. Again I'm new to the whole process so maybe not 100% I suck yet. lol...