1st rd done of grafting complete.

Saw what?

Can't see the pic you posted?

Lol, oh, its a '300' movie scene. Its terrifying.

Great job Buck you are officially addicted now

Hey guys, how moist does the dirt/moss need to be that the grafted trees are in, i've put about 8 glasses that were about 30oz in that bucket and the moss just seems to dry out at least at the top in a day but I'm sure its pretty moist at the bottom. thoughts?

Hey guys, how moist does the dirt/moss need to be that the grafted trees are in, i've put about 8 glasses that were about 30oz in that bucket and the moss just seems to dry out at least at the top in a day but I'm sure its pretty moist at the bottom. thoughts?

BV....I drilled holes in the bottoms of 2 old sap buckets and have my new grafts sitting in them with peat moss as you suggested. I then placed the buckets in a tray and watered the heck out of them. Once saturated, any excess water drained out of the holes and into my tray where it gathers. I let the buckets sit in that tray of water and as the moss dries a bit it will soak up the water in the tray.

Oh ok, good thinking.

Once these grafts are moved outside to acclimate, what point in their young life cycle would you start to apple anti chemicals like a bonide?

don't worry the moss may seem dry on top but there is moisture for sure with that much water. I wouldn't take them out for another 2 weeks or so and make sure you bring them in if it gets near freezing. Remember that the buckets you have them in are in a dark cool place and evaporation should be minimal just check them sometime. These roots are hardy creatures for sure

Paul

Whats everyones experience on when the bench grafts start to bud? Just curious its been a week (full 7 nights) after tonight, just wondering when you should consider that you suck as a grafter? LOL!

They wont even be callused for a couple of weeks, buds that open sooner than that are just sucking moisture out of the scion. You can always put a white trash bag loosely over the top to keep them from drying out as quickly.

I moved my grafts from my basement to the living room in my house. They already hardened off in the basement for over 2 weeks now I want to give them a bit more heat. I also regrafted my last year failed roots that were in root trappers and left them in my garage. I was surprised that they survived but when I cut them they were still looking healthy and alive. I plan on planting all my successful grafts that have good growth in May as long as my grafted trees planted last year are looking good and wake up nicely

Well folks first the good news, we have our 1st signs of life.

photo%201_zpsccuugvrw.jpg

Bad news is that on day #10 it was the Kerr Crab on B118 but it was below the graft.......:(

Well you better have signs of life or it means you didn't get living rootstock. I usually pinch off anything below the graft so all the energy goes to feed the scion. This means the roots below the peat moss are providing nutrients which needs to happen to wake the scion wood if cambium contact has been made. This may take 2 to 3 weeks or more so don't fret yet

Well you better have signs of life or it means you didn't get living rootstock. I usually pinch off anything below the graft so all the energy goes to feed the scion. This means the roots below the peat moss are providing nutrients which needs to happen to wake the scion wood if cambium contact has been made. This may take 2 to 3 weeks or more so don't fret yet

Should I pinch off both of these B118 limbs or should I let 1 stay just in case the graft don't take?

BV,

If it were me I would leave at least one stay until you're sure the graft takes. Chances are the rootstock would push another sprout anyways but, why chance it.

Thanks NH, appreciate it.

good advice to keep the roots alive however when you see growth out of the scion I think its safe to pinch off the root stock growth below is a pic of scions breaking bud. this is what you want to see. It took these about 3 weeks to break and some break sooner than others so be patientIMG_0535.jpg

Another root stock is waking up on the Hewes crab. Come on scions, show me some life! :)

My 16 B118s from Burnt Ridge will be here Thursday and my 10 antonovka rootstock will be here next Monday, the grafting storm continues to brew!