1st rd done of grafting complete.

Great day for some dormant oil & copper spraying. The sun is a nice change of pace!
22a68917575613fdcdd335a50b71b0fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to get a picture of my setup at the Home Orchard.
cd58b4d65d97f0ba21fa76f64481e6c9.jpg

I need to map these , but most are tagged with copper tags.

There are three other locations on the farm with apple/ crabs in various states of neglect.

I think yours looks fantastic Art! You gotta have better ground then Michigan blow sand.

I have blow sand and I have some good ground, I call good corn ground. It’s not like Iowa or southern Minnesota corn ground, but it is OK.

My blow sand has a pH of 4.6 and grows red cedars and buckthorn. Maybe a bit of red clover if yesterday’s project works out. These two small pieces of blow sand had calf manure, lime, and rye for about three years.
2c92174582a404c8a7ee2df6cff79439.jpg
e86bbbe7c0ec8a2431b72b2ade1dc98f.jpg

I pruned my winter wildlife crab for more upward growth, it still pumps the blossoms. I have some Centurion flowers this year also.

af75c653c228d9b058724cb8dd5f0031.jpg
14ecbe2b01e8bca96027a66af748f0d1.jpg

Got my mail orchard trimmed up (did half last saturday) and completed the job yesterday.

Managed to snap a pic of my trimming my Winter Wildlife Crab I cleft grafted onto to B118 on the 9th of April, 2015. This tree is 1 of only a handful I was successful on my very first year of grafting in 2015. The scion came from @greyphase , it's about 8-9 feet tall now has some strong caliber size. This variety loves to throw branches and flower when it's young, I do my best to stop it from setting fruit, I promised my self this year would be a solid maintenance year of babying these trees the best I can to get these sobs tall and get some scaffolding. Not sure how I'll fertilize yet to get some proper growth on the ones from 2016 or the majority of my orchard that was transplanted in 2018.

I have only lost 4 trees out of the orchard. They were lost in 2019 after the transplant, 1 woke up but died that winter, the other 3 for 1 reason or another stopped growing but the rootstock has taken over. I'm replace all 4 of these this year I hope. I have some trees in my nursery at home, I plan to look at that the next few days and make a decision to buy some replacements or move what I have on hand.

So here is the Winter Wildlife Crap before and after trim pics.

IMG_1085.JPGIMG_1086.JPGIMG_1087.JPGIMG_1088.JPG

Lookin' great, Dan. Are you expecting any fruit this year, or is that still another year or two away?

Lookin' great, Dan. Are you expecting any fruit this year, or is that still another year or two away?

Great to hear from you, thought about you yesterday when I checked out my Chestnut trees. I will maybe get a few flowers but I cut lots of side limbs to discourage more flowering cuz I really want height and size to develop further yet. I'm guessing 2025 could would be a year when I really get to start trying all these varieties I have on hand.

Planted 3 Meader Persimmons, 2 early Golden Persimmons, 2 PA Golden paw paw, & 1 davis paw paw from 39thparallel nursery today. Nice stock, however, since I live in Michigan and my governor...

I can’t buy dirt, lime, fert, etc... So I used the dirt there, watersorb (already had), & tree tubes.

Forgot to snap a pic, I dub this the covid planting.

All on the same property as my orchard but a diff section.

Nice plantings, BV.

Planted 3 Meader Persimmons, 2 early Golden Persimmons, 2 PA Golden paw paw, & 1 davis paw paw from 39thparallel nursery today. Nice stock, however, since I live in Michigan and my governor...

I can’t buy dirt, lime, fert, etc... So I used the dirt there, watersorb (already had), & tree tubes.

I went to Sam's yesterday, first time I'd been to a store since the new restrictions came out, they had yellow caution tape around all the contraband material that they couldn't sell. Really different.

I went to Sam's yesterday, first time I'd been to a store since the new restrictions came out, they had yellow caution tape around all the contraband material that they couldn't sell. Really different.

Crazy isn’t it!!