1st rd done of grafting complete.

@Jhoss I didn't know the monster originated from you via our boy Matt. I look forward to killing some deer under it some day, my apologies to the other varities as they have tender ears.

I look forward to trying manny diff flavors i've never tasted before as I won't try any of these varities at a farmers market, orchard, or store, i'm waiting to pop my apples right off the tree myself. :)

@CrazyEd I looked forward to those blooms on the centurion as well as the geneva, rosedale, cowichan, & otterson as they are all red flesh pinky purdy blooms. I am grafting scugog to add to that beauty this year.

Centurion will hang on through the winter to feed birds and other critters. That Monster crab is unreal !!

Well check my orchard all the trees are awake so far except for 1 transplant, ‘20 oz’, it was swelling though so i think so far so good.

Only 1 tree was getting ready to flower, ‘Winter Lane Crab’ from @greyphase, & once again loaded with blooms. This is the last year I am removing them all as I did yesterday, from now on, fruit away.

69097658b89cba34e23c50a43b0d5264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I started at 3:45 yesterday afternoon and completed at 10:45. I am not the quickest but man I sure enjoy it, I used budding bands for wraps this year, man those things pull stuff seriously tight and they are cheap! Sealed it all w/ treekote and I don’t have any on me! Also, I am happy to report that no Dan’s were harmed during the making of these grafts.
0fc06c0b31a3b5204d083e9b0fb65485.jpg
eba0adf66fa5eb6657b1bce60f787d21.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race. :emoji_relaxed: That's quite a selection of varieties. No Treekote on you and no bloodletting WOW, your the man Dan. :emoji_man_dancing::emoji_man_dancing:

did you use the bud tape roll? or the pre-made strips? If strips what gauge and size did you go with? I've might give them a try next year.

did you use the bud tape roll? or the pre-made strips? If strips what gauge and size did you go with? I've might give them a try next year.

There were strips idk the guage but they worked awesome.

Had a fast wake up and bloom season, this tree wasn’t even in bloom 3 days ago! In laws wanted this grafted over to edible varieties as it was a really bad tasting green apple that was very funny shaped. Bark was slipping fantastically so here is hoping. Put on their favorites Empire, Gala, Paula Red, & Sweet Sixteen…
7fb1a59d206fc1d31c64f2b773bb2462.jpg
44f90cf62e54942c06e88ef89611212e.jpg
73436189e96d676b4fbf66acce8b17c4.jpg
0ce800ddc3fd9834811f87931844c5b7.jpg

The regraft of the inlaws so far is looking good...
4c6b49bfe059f66390cce798a22b9b01.jpg

Had to give extra support to my Gala on M7 that is 5 years old now, the last wind storm even being supported by a '10 piece of conduit wasn't enough so i drove a 5 foot piece of conduit and strapped it into the bigger stake. Has a very balanced branching all throughout the tree, not sure how to keep it from continuing to tempt fate and lean.IMG_1990.JPG

Guess it depends on how tall you want the final height to be. You could always head it back to a lateral limb to halt the upward growth and give it a chance to build some caliper. Looks a little thin caliper wise for a tree of that height.

Guess it depends on how tall you want the final height to be. You could always head it back to a lateral limb to halt the upward growth and give it a chance to build some caliper. Looks a little thin caliper wise for a tree of that height.

Yes its about a 4 inch caliper at the base, it just blows out of the ground with more height each week it seems like, also been really vigorous. I've tried to come up with solutions, I don't know why topping it never came to mind.

Do you have a suggestion where you would cut it? So it has more shoots should I wait to top it until next winter?

Pick the height you want to try and maintain and then find a good lateral branch at that height. Cut the leader just above that branch. Obviously you are going to get some water sprouts off that upper most branch, those will have to be pruned off on occasion. Tall spindle plantings are maintained that way. Pruning in summer helps to decrease tree vigor. Guess it depends on how much of the top you decide to cut off. I would certainly avoid putting any fertilizer on it. Hopefully once it starts cropping it will decrease the vegetative growth.

Pick the height you want to try and maintain and then find a good lateral branch at that height. Cut the leader just above that branch. Obviously you are going to get some water sprouts off that upper most branch, those will have to be pruned off on occasion. Tall spindle plantings are maintained that way. Pruning in summer helps to decrease tree vigor. Guess it depends on how much of the top you decide to cut off. I would certainly avoid putting any fertilizer on it. Hopefully once it starts cropping it will decrease the vegetative growth.

This is it's 2nd year copping, the duck pool is there next to it so it never gets a shortage of water out of all my trees. It's constantly putting out new growth, I don't know how tall is to tall for my trees. This is all a learning experience since 2014, I don't mind being on a ladder picking fruit, but how much is to much ya know?

Great day for some dormant oil & copper spraying. The sun is a nice change of pace!
22a68917575613fdcdd335a50b71b0fa.jpg

I here you on the sun feeling good today, kinda water logged here. Nice looking orchard!

Great day for some dormant oil & copper spraying. The sun is a nice change of pace!

Those trees and set up look great!

I have more of a mess.

I had to get a picture of my setup at the Home Orchard.
cd58b4d65d97f0ba21fa76f64481e6c9.jpg

I need to map these , but most are tagged with copper tags.

There are three other locations on the farm with apple/ crabs in various states of neglect.

I had to get a picture of my setup at the Home Orchard.
cd58b4d65d97f0ba21fa76f64481e6c9.jpg

I need to map these , but most are tagged with copper tags.

There are three other locations on the farm with apple/ crabs in various states of neglect.

I think yours looks fantastic Art! You gotta have better ground then Michigan blow sand.