1st rd done of grafting complete.

IMG_0533.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update, no scion life as of last night yet, just the 2 B118s showing bud break, no life signs yet on any M7. My 16 burnt ridge B118s are being delivered today, i'll graft them tonight!

Buck

Just relax. My grafts have been on for about 3 weeks and I have about 10 with signs of bud break on the scions. In some cases it could take a month or more. Just keep the faith

Paul

Well guys I got my 16 B118's from Burnt Ridge, here is the typical look of each 16, some were bigger than others caliper wise. Ran smaller overall than Cummins but still easy to work with.

Burnt_B118_zpsxs99p6mu.jpg

Here they are all complete.

16_B118_zpsgjs1sank.jpg

Good news is I completed some (I think) successful W & T grafts, pretty proud of myself for that but most were still cleft. Question is some of the scions i'm working with greened up while in the fridge, not sure the impact of green buds on scion wood.

Sciong_zpsc3ustyvv.jpg

sciong2_zpsgu26r4me.jpg

Thoughts on all this?

I've enjoyed this so much its going to be a real bummer not doing this every year since I don't have anywhere to plant them.

grafts_zpskcii6gvf.jpg

No one really said anything but thought i'd bump this and re-ask the question, if your scion has just about budded out (leafed out) does this translate to death when grafting?

No one really said anything but thought i'd bump this and re-ask the question, if your scion has just about budded out (leafed out) does this translate to death when grafting?
I would think that would be less than ideal, but I don't have the expertise to tell you that it won't work. It probably decreases the odds of the graft taking but to what extent, I don't know. Personally I wouldn't use it.

So are you asking if your scion has broken bud before you attempt to graft it, will the results of it taking be poor?

If so yes.

So are you asking if your scion has broken bud before you attempt to graft it, will the results of it taking be poor?

If so yes.

Some of them must have been pretty vibrant scions as they greened up some while in the fridge. :(

Some of them must have been pretty vibrant scions as they greened up some while in the fridge. :(

Varieties vary in chilling hour requirements and how easy they break bud once those requirements are met. Important to collect scions when the buds are completely dormant and then keep them as close to freezing temps as possible while in storage.

Buck

Did you use scion wood that already had green showing ? It looks like some of the ones you have grafted are breaking bud and I am asking were they that way before you grafted? I think you will know soon enough as the scion can only hold so much energy to make the bud grow and after that the roots will have to feed it so if they are still getting bigger there is a good chance your graft succeeded but I am not sure how long ago you grafted them. I am getting a lot of bud break now after about 28 days especially since I moved mine from my basement to my living room where the temps range now from 60 to 67. I even gave them all some outdoor time today as the temps hit 75 Its the soil temps that get them really moving. That's one good thing about waxing over some of your buds. You will start to see the wax crack which indicates that the bud is growing. I love cracked wax now LOL

Paul

Paul,

I was referring the scion that greened up while in storage in the fridge.

I my last round of grafting last night for my own personal use received my 10 Antonovka Rootstock from raintree nursery last night.

photo%202_zpspuzhjlzd.jpg

photo%201_zpsecllyfws.jpg

I wanted to try this rootstock type with my B118s just mostly for the enjoyment of it and seeing the long term vibrance of each one.

Here they are in their glory.
photo%203_zpsxvwzuw3c.jpg

I seemed to be rolling right along, I started about 9:30 last night and got done at 11:30. I sure love doing that stuff!

This is the first rootstock that had budded out on 4/5 has gotten a lot of growth, still no signs of life on the scion itself.

photo%2011_zpsgw4omjio.jpg

Just about all the original B118 & M7s from 3/26 rootstock are waking up.

I do have 1 success story so far.

I'm pleased to announce a Honeycrisp on M7 has budded at the top of the scion, ahh such sweet victory!

photo%2031_zpsjvymibwd.jpg

ok Buck I eventually figured it out. Don't be afraid to get that peat moss good and moist. I use warm water to help wake up the roots also. And be patient Buck as I said some of my grafts are just starting to break buds now and its been almost a month since I grafted even though some broke 2 weeks ago so there is no set time and I think it probably is dependent on variety as well. I have some scions that have 3 buds breaking which is awesome as I can take one and still have a backup !!!

Last edited:
ok Buck I eventually figured it out. Don't be afraid to get that peat moss good and moist. I use warm water to help wake up the roots also. And be patient Buck as I said some of my grafts are just starting to break buds now and its been almost a month since I grafted even though some broke 2 weeks ago so there is no set time and I think it probably is dependent on variety as well. I have some scions that have 3 buds breaking which is awesome as I can take one and still have a backup !!!

Yes I knew the warm water part, someone mentioned that before, could have been you! I'm not impatient so much as I had so much fun doing this that i'd be pretty bummed if I failed. The life showing on the Honeycrips gives me hope that i'm not a complete idiot. I mean its the first scion to break bud and that took 19 days in a room with no light and consistent 65 degree temperatures with medium humidity.

This process sure is fun!

At this point I would give them light. The hardening period is over. Water warmth and light are their best friends now !!!!

Well only the first batch was done 19 days ago the others were yesterday or the 9th of April. With only 1 scion actually budding, I would think this would be early still to expose them to light?

yes the ones 19 days ago would be ok but I grafted some and put them in garage and not in dark basement and I am getting root growth and I believe some scion bud break and they are only about 9 days old and have been in the garage with windows.

IMG_2757.JPG IMG_2756.JPG some pics of my grafts just taken. the pic with circles shows yellow meaning buds broken clearly and the orange is where the wax is cracking which means good thingIMG_2754.JPG the one has a 3 bud break which is really cool

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    640.6 KB · Views: 2
Man your stuff is killing it, hope i get this good soon.

I think the key is good rootstock and good scion wood. After that just some practice and technique. Its live and learn I still have about 20% of my grafts with no sign of bud break so just be patient