All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st rd done of grafting complete.

"This is another neighboring trees, red bloom, brilliant color any takers? I'll take pics later to see what size apple they form."

BV you'll have to let me know what thoe apples look like on that tree I'm sure my wife would love to couple of those around the yard. I might have to hit you up for some scion.

"This is another neighboring trees, red bloom, brilliant color any takers? I'll take pics later to see what size apple they form."

BV you'll have to let me know what thoe apples look like on that tree I'm sure my wife would love to couple of those around the yard. I might have to hit you up for some scion.

I could do that for sure, really great looking blooming trees. I'll let you know the fruit size later this year.

A few shots of the nursers as of this present day. Overall i am satisfied w/ the growth on these trees and the easy care & maintenance I can provide. I do have to do a bit more weeding and shave off a few more root stock shoots.

NURS.jpg
NURS2.jpg
NURS3.jpg

Here is a shot of the G30s in the nursery but they are curiously slow growing compared to B115 or Ranetka. My curiosity is that its a smaller tree in stature but I just assumed it'd be more aggressive getting there, apparently not.
G30.jpg

This is a shot of 2 black creek crabs (I think they are probably a crab) it's the old tree I found on the neighbors property dying a horrible slow & uneventful death. They are grafted onto Sweetcrabs that were growing in my woods that I uprooted and switched them to this variety.
BK_SWC.jpg

Ashmead's Kernel on B118 is certainly 1 of 10 maybe varieties that are neck and neck for the tallest in the nursery.
AK_B118.jpg

Anaros Creek on Ranetka seems to be the slowest growing variety of those on full rootstock.
AC_RN.jpg

Just have a handful of trees at my home orchard. I have beach sand for dirt here guys so don't judge the barren waste land look. :)

Ashmeads Kernel on M7 I regrafted this year.
AK-M7.jpg

Pink Pearl on M7 I had to regraft this year.
PP-M7.jpg
Cripps Pink on M7 I regrafted this year.
CP-M7.jpg

Fuji Red Sport I grafted on to G30 this year and planted it direct in its final spot.
FJ_G30.jpg

I grafted Kerr Crab & Geneva Crab onto a Lolly Pop Flowering Crab this spring for fun, 2 took.
KC_LOL.jpg .GC_LOL.jpg

in 2015 I grafted Granny Smith on M7 and it was fine but I burned it by using to much Bonide, it has rebounded nicely this year.
GS_M7-15.jpg
Same thing for this Honeycrisp but it just has not grown worth a dang, not sure if I shouldn't just pull it out of the ground next year.
HC_M7-15.jpg

Beautiful trees BV.

Update on the trees I grafted & planted for my mom on G30, lost the Zestar, no explanation why, don't know why it died, watered enough, just wasn't strong enough I guess.

Pink Pearl
PP-g30.jpg

Pinova (Pinata, Corail, Sonata)
PV-G30.jpg

Real nice, BV. You're gonna have quite a variety of apples, crabs and pears - I don't recall what all else you have started. It should be great food & treats for the family and the critters !!

After my daughter is done with Gymnastics class today I'll be going to the property to cut open some of the grafting tapes from last year. Oh and its brutal and 90 degrees outside but its when I have time to do it. Yay me, perhaps I'll take some pics with my swetty paws. :)

I was a grubby mess of dirt and wax last night. I wore garden gloves tonight. I finished the 50 some my nursery. The B118 was nicely healed and some were starting to girdle.

Wasnt able to go to the farm orchard but did cut the grafting tape on my 2 grafts in my orchard from last year (m7) and sprayed all my trees for insects.

I am pleased with how the calus looks having seeing 1 i did for the first time i was pretty proud. Got to dark for my phone cam, i will post a pic in the AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granny Smith on M7 is looking fantastic, graft union all healed up.
GS_M7.jpg

Part of the reason this makes me smile is I'm not good with my hands traditionally. I cannot see angles, I can't build structures, remodel a kitchen, etc, I can't work on cars, I have had mechanic best friends from elementary school until now at the age of 32, I am just not wired to grasp most of that kind of stuff. But damnet if I didn't make a Granny Smith Apple onto an M7 rootstock. Yeehaw! LOL!

This was plumbers tape that I used for my first grafts in 2015. It removed ok and the treekote actually became some what brittle so thankfully it was not to difficult to get it off. :)

Went to the farm to check on my orchard and remove the wraps on my 2015 grafts. This is a Winter Wildlife Crab I cleft grafted on B118, was a bit girdled but it should recover ok.

WWC_B118.jpg

This is another neighboring trees, red bloom, brilliant color any takers? I'll take pics later to see what size apple they form.
View attachment 8883
View attachment 8884

These trees seem to be exactly the same variety, they have dark crimson/purple fruit that are about the size of a ripe blueberry.

These trees seem to be exactly the same variety, they have dark crimson/purple fruit that are about the size of a ripe blueberry.
Thanks BV I have some crabs that flower like that and similar size fruit - I can't remember the variety but I got them from the conservation districts annual sale

Thanks BV I have some crabs that flower like that and similar size fruit - I can't remember the variety but I got them from the conservation districts annual sale

I'm going to go with they are probably 'Manchurian Crabapples' similar fruit & bloom.

Anyone have suggestions on the 'stunting' of this trees growth.

Perhaps its a secondary bud thats why its not necessarily growing 'fast'?

Liberty (Antonovka) grafted Spring 2015.
Liberty.JPG

1 of the 3 trees (all same variety) I got from @Turkey Creek, this one is at my moms and is quite pampered w/ regular watering.

Homestead Crab (B118)

Hmst.JPGHmstd2.JPG

Removed the wrap on this 2016 graft today at my moms....

Pinata (Pinova, Sonata, Corail) G30
PNA.JPG