1st rd done of grafting complete.

Yeah they say stone fruits are hard, but then again with a rock and chisel anything with stone is possible?
49450550.jpg

e3fdd577ef7100f863dc2430954409d6.jpg

I grafted these 50, last night. No I don't have 6 more totes hidden anywhere, only 2 more pots with about ten in apiece. The potted ones I grafted about 2 weeks ago are starting to come alive. Hopefully these do the same.

Nice work TC! Do you plant them out right away? I always wonder how long I should keep them in the garage to callus vs planting them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job Honker!

I need to update my list here over the next few days but I have a Pinata (its called Pinova, Corail, & Sonata in other countries) that was successful. It has its own cult like following.......http://www.stemilt.com/fresh-fruit/apples/pinata-apples/

This is illegal to have outside of the 'growers list' which are a handful of nurseries that were given the ok to grow it for testing here in the US. This begs the question of how did the guy I buy it from sell it to me over the internet and advertise that he has it available? Anyways I got one....... lol

I grafted these 50, last night. No I don't have 6 more totes hidden anywhere, only 2 more pots with about ten in apiece. The potted ones I grafted about 2 weeks ago are starting to come alive. Hopefully these do the same.

Nice work TC! Do you plant them out right away? I always wonder how long I should keep them in the garage to callus vs planting them out.
e3fdd577ef7100f863dc2430954409d6.jpg

I let them callus for 2-3 weeks in a 50-60 degree room before planting. Thats how I was taught to do it and it has worked well for me. I think unless you have predictable weather it definitely has its benefits. We get some hellacious winds in the spring along with some days being into the 80 degree range, and very unpredictable precipitation amounts. I feel by allowing them to callus indoors I can control temp and humidity until the callus can be formed and then they are not as susceptible to environmental stress once I plant them out.

I let them callus for 2-3 weeks in a 50-60 degree room before planting. Thats how I was taught to do it and it has worked well for me. I think unless you have predictable weather it definitely has its benefits. We get some hellacious winds in the spring along with some days being into the 80 degree range, and very unpredictable precipitation amounts. I feel by allowing them to callus indoors I can control temp and humidity until the callus can be formed and then they are not as susceptible to environmental stress once I plant them out.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking but it never hurts to check with someone with experience.

I need to update my list here over the next few days but I have a Pinata (its called Pinova, Corail, & Sonata in other countries) that was successful. It has its own cult like following.......http://www.stemilt.com/fresh-fruit/apples/pinata-apples/

This is illegal to have outside of the 'growers list' which are a handful of nurseries that were given the ok to grow it for testing here in the US. This begs the question of how did the guy I buy it from sell it to me over the internet and advertise that he has it available? Anyways I got one....... lol

Well I am not sue how patent laws work on products originating from foreign countries, but seeing how it was originally released in other countries in 1986 that would exceed the normal 20 year patent enforcement law, unless it can be patented in the USA at a later date? Trade marks can be held indefinitely, possibly why it was renamed "Pinata". So just dont grow your apples and sell them as "pinata" call them "Sonata"!:D Personally I find trade marks to be pretty stupid on items that have a short market life, "Coke", "Chevy", etcc is one thing. But something that will likely have market relevance for 5-10 years?

This is directly from pinata themselves when I was hunting for a stick of the tree because my mom wanted it.
"No need to apologize at all. We have the North American rights to the Pinova variety, which as you mentioned has been known in Europe as Sonata and Corail. Here in the U.S., we sell this variety under the Pinata trademark. Unfortunately, we are not issuing any scion wood to outside parties at this time. The controlled variety isn't great for hobbyists like yourself, but does help us in controlling the acreage and great attributes of the variety. "

Well I got one if a stick of it falls off in the future i'll pass on the good fortune. :)

Sounds like they control commercial production, but cant really stop you from growing what you have.

I can't believe what I'm saying but I moved these trees outside since 4/14 as it's been warm. I will have to bring them in Friday night as its supposed to jump down to 30 over night before going back to 60s and 40s at night.

Anyways I have now hit 60 successful out of 70 grafts bench grafting this year. Crazy! 85%!

Successful list grows for 2016 to include: *UPDATE, new additions*

Centennial Crab "Ranetka"
Monster Crab "Ranetka"
Roxbury Russet "Ranetka"
Farm Russet Crab "Ranetka"
Gold Rush "Ranetka"
Kerr Crab "Ranetka"
Viola Crab "Ranetka"
Golden Hornet Crab "Ranetka"
Lady "Ranetka"
Yellow Transparent "Ranetka"
Wolf River "Ranetka"
Fuji Red Sport 2 "Ranetka"
King David "Ranetka"
Geneva Crab "Ranetka"
Black Oxford "Ranetka"
Anaros Crab "Ranetka"
Winesap "Ranetka"
Wickson Crab "Ranetka"
Williams Pride "Ranetka"
Centurion Crab "Ranetka"
Farm Red Crab "Ranetka"
Dolgo Crab "Ranetka"
20 Oz "Ranetka"

Crimson Gold "B118"
Novaspy "B118"
Centurion Crab "B118"
Chestnut Crab "B118"
Pink Pearl "B118"
Pristine "B118"
Hudsons Golden Gem "B118"
Geneva Crab "B118"
Holiday "B118"
Empire "B118"
Frostbite "B118"
Arkansas Black "B118"
Freedom "B118"
Zestar "B118"
Cripps Pink "B118"
Adams Pearmain "B118"
Winter Banana "B118"
Spitzenburg "B118"
Kentucky Limbertwig "B118"
Ashmead's Kernel "B118"
Black Twig "B118"
Florina "B118"
Centennial Crab "B118"

Fuji Red Sport 2 "G30"
Pink Pearl "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Pinova "G30"

Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Flemish Beauty "OHxF97"
Shenandoah "OHxF97"
Shenandoah "OHxF97"
Kieffer "OHxF97"

Now that is an impressive list, hope the success with your grafts continues.

You are the man BV but I have a couple of grafts that are no looking sick after putting them in rootrappers. Maybe 3 but that is life but 85% is awesome You are the grafting guru woohoo

I just think going from inside yellow to outside and sun exposure takes some time to adjust but they should recover.

85%! that's great, and a very impressive list

my rootstocks finally cleared customs Friday, and I picked them up yesterday and got started, I am really impressed with the roots on these things, and they are far bigger than I had thought they would be so I am doing a lot of cleft vs w&t, so far I have 2 tydemans late orange, 2 calville blanc d'hiver, 1 anannas reinette, 2 belle de boskap, & 3 wolf river, hope to get most of the rest done today. It is still freezing every night and snowed last week so I still have lots of time, I hope that I cango straight outdoors in 2-3 weeks with any that are successful DSCN0264.JPG DSCN0269.JPG DSCN0270.JPG

The roots are incredible on those! Good luck with them.

My Reliance Peach is in bloom.

Reliance.JPG

As is the pollinating Cleveland pear i'm just using this as a pollinator as it doesn't take up much room.

Cleveland.JPG

Successful list grows for 2016 to include: *UPDATE, new additions* 64/70 91%!

Centennial Crab "Ranetka"
Monster Crab "Ranetka"
Roxbury Russet "Ranetka"
Farm Russet Crab "Ranetka"
Gold Rush "Ranetka"
Kerr Crab "Ranetka"
Viola Crab "Ranetka"
Golden Hornet Crab "Ranetka"
Lady "Ranetka"
Yellow Transparent "Ranetka"
Wolf River "Ranetka"
Fuji Red Sport 2 "Ranetka"
King David "Ranetka"
Geneva Crab "Ranetka"
Black Oxford "Ranetka"
Anaros Crab "Ranetka"
Winesap "Ranetka"
Wickson Crab "Ranetka"
Williams Pride "Ranetka"
Centurion Crab "Ranetka"
Farm Red Crab "Ranetka"
Dolgo Crab "Ranetka"
20 Oz "Ranetka"
Rosedale Crab "Ranetka"
Crimson Gold "B118"
Novaspy "B118"
Centurion Crab "B118"
Chestnut Crab "B118"
Pink Pearl "B118"
Pristine "B118"
Hudsons Golden Gem "B118"
Geneva Crab "B118"
Holiday "B118"
Empire "B118"
Frostbite "B118"
Arkansas Black "B118"
Freedom "B118"
Zestar "B118"
Cripps Pink "B118"
Adams Pearmain "B118"
Winter Banana "B118"
Spitzenburg "B118"
Kentucky Limbertwig "B118"
Ashmead's Kernel "B118"
Black Twig "B118"
Florina "B118"
Centennial Crab "B118"
Fuji Red Sport 2 "G30"
Pink Pearl "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Zestar "G30"
Pinova "G30"
Pinova "G30"
Honeycrisp "G30"

Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Harvest Queen "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Magness "OHxF97"
Flemish Beauty "OHxF97"
Shenandoah "OHxF97"
Shenandoah "OHxF97"
Kieffer "OHxF97"
Red Clapp (Kalle) "OHxF97"

I got the nursery put together about a week ago, filled it half way with a cow manure/sawdust mixture, filled it the rest of the way with MI sand and then top soil. The trees were moved into it today, what a process that can be. :)

Nursery.JPG
Nursery2.JPG
Nursery3.JPG Nursery4.JPG