Liberty herbicide question

Bill

Administrator
The label says wait 70 days before rotating to another crop. I thought there was no residual..

any insight on that?

Wondering about brassicas in the beans

Bill, when I was doing my research, I saw that too. The label does say "Liberty® Herbicide is a foliar-active material with no soil-residual activity.". It also says "Do not plant crops in a field treated with Liberty® Herbicide for 120 days after the last application of this product with the exception of wheat, barley, buckwheat, millet, oats, rye, sorghum, and triticale which may be planted 70 days after the last application of this product. Corn, soybeans, sugar beets and canola may be planted at any time.". My guess (and just a guess) is that the 120/70 day is probably related to something other than the action of the herbicide. I also noticed similar time limits on application prior to harvest. Is it possible that the restriction has more to do with uptake of the herbicide into crops that are then consumed by people has not been sufficiently studied within these windows.

I don't know any of this for sure. I'm just speculating. You mentioned that you used Liberty for burn done of non-liberty-resistant crops. What crops were they? Were they beans or corn or one of the other crops that don't have the time limit?

I'm interested to see the answer to this as I was considering Liberty for pre-planting marestail control.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,
You may be right on that. Maybe all the lawyers advertising about roundup has more to with the label than the actual product.
Last year I used it to burn a couple small plots and throw and grow brassicas. The brassicas didn’t do great. But it was really dry and my neighbor who didn’t use liberty had the same issue with his fall plots.
I’m late this year because of rain and Covid but I burned a field yesterday that’s getting forage beans, sunflowers, sorghum and cow peas. After I sprayed I looked at the label. (Yeah should have done that first :).

If I burn a field with just roundup I get a field full of pigweed and marestail. So if I want a clean start it’s roundup and 2,4-D or liberty. 2,4-D does have some residual. Liberty is expensive but for my small plots I’ve decided it’s worth it. And unlike the old days I make sure to go heavy and rotate as much as I can. I suppose in 20 years things will be liberty resistant

Please keep me informed on your experience with Liberty for non-Liberty-Ready crops. 24D does have some residual. How much depends on the formulation. I can't remember which is less off of the top of my head, Ester or Amine. I have found the planting delay listed for beans works pretty well with other crops I've planted. I'm sure your right on future liberty resistance, but it is always a cat and mouse game with these things.

It sounds like Liberty will do a better job on my Marestail than 24D, so if I tank mix, I'll probably do so with gly so there is no wait (presume we eventually resolve that liberty has no impact on the next crop).

Thanks,

Jack

Will do the seed went in today. Now I need rain.

I buy interline which can be sprayed on liberty seed,does a good job on marestail and pigweed.

I buy interline which can be sprayed on liberty seed,does a good job on marestail and pigweed.

nice. There’s about a $40 savings..

Didnt see this till now.

Last summer I cooked my brassica plots with Liberty about a week before planting to control the Waterhemp. I didnt notice any negative results as far as the germination. It all came up fine. I think Yoder has it right.

This year I did all Liberty Corn and Soybeans and its been working good. Man i love it. In about 4 days the field is DEAD!

Curious, What rate are you mixing the Interline?

Curious, What rate are you mixing the Interline?

same % of glusonifate so it’s the same as liberty. 1 qt/acre. I’ve been heating my liberty up to 40oz/acre just because.

Ive been probably on the thin side trying to stretch a quart on a bit more than an acre, but it seems to do the job, ive yet to find any survivors.

You guys are talking me into it for next year...

You guys are talking me into it for next year...

here Jack, I’ll push you over the edge. The beans are volunteer.

resistant mares tail 5 days post spray.

B4E03107-15E0-4739-96E8-0DCF8977A3A3.jpeg

Red root pigweed 5 days post.
43439DAE-31BE-46F8-B696-91BDC55B9360.jpeg

The volunteer beans are interesting and I presume they are LL beans, but I don't plan to use LL crops. I may in the future, but I think my first use will be burn-down only. That is why I'm so interested in how quickly folks plant non-LL crops after Liberty burn-down and if they show any signs of stress from the Liberty. I'd like to be able to use it just like gly and spray and plant the same day.

I have waterhemp to spray in my corn tomorrow before the corn gets any taller. What woulkd you be planting afterwards yoder? I can do a small test area where i even spray over some other seed? Radish, clover, buckwheat, rye??? Ill plant some and give it a try.

So is this Interline just a generic Liberty? Or what doesnt it do that Liberty does? For $100 id give that a whirl...

Right now, I'm planting a combination of sunn hemp, buckwheat, and milo (wgf sorghum) for my summer plots. I'd like to try that combo again next year as it seems to be doing as well as the RR forage beans I used to plant for my summer stress period. The beans were so attractive, ag beans could not handle the browse pressure and non-rr forage beans could not handle the weed competition. The RR forage beans did the trick and I would always add a light mix of RR corn for vertical cover in the beans. This worked well until we had a pine thinning and controlled burn. Marestail came up in the pines from the seed bank and went to seed and got into our fields. Continued use of gly on beans favored the marestail.

Buckwheat and sunn hemp seem to compete with weeds pretty well and nothing touch milo until it forms seed heads. I've been using 24D first and then gly when I plant a couple weeks later for burn-down. The 24D helps keep the marestail in check when it is young, but it is not highly effective on marestail and it has a couple week soil residual.

So, the approach I'm considering is using Liberty alone or in combo with Gly for burn down next spring and immediately planting the Sunn Hemp/Buckwheat/Milo combo.

Interline has the same active ingredients as Liberty and appears to be labeled the same. Do you guys use AMS with liberty?

Thanks,

Jack

I used AMS last year with great results, this year I have NOT used AMS and have again had great results... so not sure its necessary but it sure hasn't hurt.

I have buckwheat and sorghum in the shed. I will plant a small area before spraying and another right after for a project.

I used AMS last year with great results, this year I have NOT used AMS and have again had great results... so not sure its necessary but it sure hasn't hurt.

I have buckwheat and sorghum in the shed. I will plant a small area before spraying and another right after for a project.

Outstanding! That will be a great test!