All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID help

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
dd69d4469650c7ea164f9345e5124514.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chestnut of some type? But I can't tell you which type.

Leaves "look" American, more so than Chinese.

No doubt Stu is right with Sawtooth.

A few years ago I had a guy I could buy tree seedling for at a real cheap price. I was buying several at that time. I ordered about 15 Chinese Chestnuts along with a bunch of other trees, and when they arrived I could see immediately something didn't look exactly right. They had brown leaves still hanging on the trees and resembled chestnut leaves but the shape wasn't right - they were Sawtooths. I only paid 70 cents apiece for them so I just went ahead and didn't say anything.

I wasn't planning on putting out any Sawtooths but set them and thought I could always remove them if I changed my mind. The biggest ones now are probably 20 feet tall already. I saw pollen this spring, but it is all grown up around them right now and I haven't walked out to see if there are any acorns.

I was on my phone when I posted the first time and didn't really look closely at the acorns, Stu is definitely correct, sawtooth oak, not chestnut of any kind as I first thought.

Ok. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk