Grass ID

turkeyhunter20

Yearling... With promise
Can anyone identify these grasses from this picture? It’s all i have of our fields from this summer. My initial plans for this field was to kill all the cool season grasses and allow the natives to come in from the seed bank but I’m noticing our fields are now all brown after being cut in September. I’m wondering if my fields are cool season grasses afterall
4f9a0005ddf8e18743534395479f7548.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

549d7a6f28c2dbc097b6474e232d6bff.jpg

This is how it looks as of today

Well, you have it textbook prepared to start old-field management. I can't tell what is out there. Either way, I see some green. I'd see if it starts growing, and when it gets a little over 6 inches tall, spray it with glyphosate. Then, wait for spring and see what comes up.

The first picture you posted isn't showing up for me.

Question - are you in drought conditions? If so, how severe?

The first picture you posted isn't showing up for me.

Question - are you in drought conditions? If so, how severe?

934b40acbba97ee59b1d3dc047b9f3ae.png

This is the original picture i posted. We’ve had intermittent rain, i wouldn’t say drought though

934b40acbba97ee59b1d3dc047b9f3ae.png

This is the original picture i posted. We’ve had intermittent rain, i wouldn’t say drought though

I can't be certain from that picture, but I think I'm seeing mostly Johnson Grass. If that's the case you will have countless seed in the seedbank, and it will keep coming back. I've never had to deal with it, but Plateau Herbicide is supposed to be very effective on it.

The taller grass looks like johnsongrass to me. You're going to have it come up next year. I had it bad in mine in 2021. Like @Native Hunter said, hit it with Plateau(Imazapic) next year. I haven't seen as much since then.

The only reason I didn’t have it is because we always did our own hay and didn’t have people coming in carrying the seed on their equipment. All my neighbors had it bad.

10fe8986ffaef6dd8c4cd54987ead770.jpg

Just took a walk to the back of the farm on a hillside that wasn’t mowed. There looks to be sparse little bluestem scattered throughout the whole hillside. Hopefully there’s more throughout the field that was mowed that i just didn’t pay attention to before it was mowed.

Probably Broomsedge Bluestem rather than Little Bluestem. Very much alike though in terms of deer cover. However, little blue is superior in terms of cattle forage.

You probably have a good bit of that broomsedge too. I have a lot of that as well. I find deer beds all through it. Mine gets almost 5 ft tall. I can sometimes see a buck's rack moving through it once he gets up.