All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a grafting knife

Since I'm sure there are folks reading this that are new to grafting, I think we should discuss why knives designed for bench grafting are single bevel. A double bevel knife (sharpened on both sides) wants to change directions when cutting through wood based on resistance (wood density). As the knife slices thorough the wood, slight movement will create a wavy. Consider the first cut of either rootstock or scion for a whip and tongue graft. If both sides are not completely flat, bumps or waves in the wood will reduce cambium contact even if you have good diameter alignment. A single beveled knife (sharpened on one side only) tends to resist this to some degree. Because one side of the knife is flat, the single cutting edge tends to lead. The same thing is happening in that the blade wants to turn slightly based on differing wood density (resistance), but the knife design tends to resist this and the cut tends to be flatter.

Now consider the second cut on a W&T graft, the tongue. We want this to be straight, parallel with the rootstock and scion and the same distance on both so the tongue holds the cambium layers together when assembled. It is much easier to make this cut straight rather than at an angle with a single beveled knife. The flat side is easy to keep parallel.

One more thing to keep in mind. Regardless of the type of knife, a dull knife is much more subject to having its path altered by the density changes in the wood than a sharp knife. Sharpness, in my opinion is more important.

Does this really matter?

I would guess in the hands of an experienced grafter, just about any sharp knife will do just fine. They know exactly what is important about each cut and are skilled at creating those features. In the hands of use novices, every advantage can be helpful. Consider the rest of the grafting process. You can have gaps in cambium contact and still get a successful graft. Things like grafting rubbers can force some gaps to close if the alignment is good. So, if you experienced with the whole process, good practices on one step can mitigate less than perfection in another.

Finally, consider the kind of tree you are grafting. Apples, for example are very forgiving. I've had success (and I'm not highly experienced), doing W&T grafts on apples with only one side of the cambium aligned. Apples have a thick cambium layer and the wood is relatively soft. You can move a sharp knife slowly and delicately with little pressure through the wood. By contrast, a tree like Jujube is very hard wood. They are often no round so alignment can be difficult. The cambium layer is very thin by comparison. I have had success bench grafting Jujube, but I've really got to do everything right, and even then, some will fail.

The knife is only one factor. The less experienced you are, and the more difficult the tree species you are grafting, the more important it is. I personally spent more on good sharpening stones than I did on a knife. I ended up buying one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-B...ocphy=9008141&hvtargid=pla-380729511332&psc=1 It was not expensive and holds an edge well. I spent a lot of time figuring out what sharpening stones to get.

Thanks,

jack

I got a left handed Victorinox for Xmas so that I can cut away from my body. Can’t wait to give it a try as a right hander.

Same knife as you Jack, worked well my first go at grafting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The rootstocks I used this past year all died. I only grafted 6 trees - so no big loss. I thought I'd get info from you guys on the knife styles to see if I can improve my grafting with a single bevel. Hopefully this year the rootstocks won't die !!

The type of graft is a bigger factor for me than the knife. Bark and bud grafts are much more forgiving than other types, in my limited experience. They're much simpler as well.

I started with a cheap knife, and never regretted treating myself to a nicer knife. Tina gets my vote.

This next comment is kind of like the Gun and Scope argument:

I saw sharpening mentioned and I believe a knife that holds and keeps a wicked sharp edge is absolutely key to grafting success - there are a ton of other factors that are essential to a higher percentage of successful grafts granted but keeping the blade honed to beyond razor sharp is critical. I have diamond stones but what really gets my knife sharp are the leather strops I made. I use jeweler's rouge as a polishing compound and finish out on the bare smooth side. One of the best tips I ever got from an old grafter.

If you intend to get into grafting and can afford to do so... a Great knife - Lasts a lifetime and can be passed on... and dont forget about the tools to keep it sharp. Get a good pruner as well. I want a felco f8 classic but my cheaper fisksars have worked great but do seem to wear out.

I like the whip & tongue grafting method,,, I suck at bud grafting.

Attachments

• IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 22
I grafted for the first time last spring and I was too cheap to buy a special grafting knife. I went with a box cutter instead and had great luck, so I'll continue using that going forward.

The type of graft also makes a difference. I practiced different grafts and I was having issues with most of them. I ended up using a cleft graft since that worked best with my limited grafting skillset. They didn't look as pretty as some, but they all lived so that was good enough for me.

This is a good thread, and it just got me thinking about grafting. For apples, which are pretty soft wood, my current grafting knife works just fine. However, for some trees with harder wood, it can take significantly more force to cut, even with a very sharp knife. Typically, right handed grafting knives are less expensive because they are produced in higher volume. That is what I have. A right handed grafting knife is designed (if held in the right hand) to cut toward yourself with the scrap wood on the bevel side and the good wood on the flat side. This is what gives you the clean cambium exposure. (I have to admit that when I first started grafting, I didn't even know this). A left handed grafting knife (if held in the right hand) allows you to make the same cut away from yourself. With softer wood I can go slower and control the pressure so toward myself is OK. With harder wood, I'd be more comfortable cutting away from myself for safety.

So, I decided to make the plunge and add a left handed grafting knife to my inventory. I just ordered the Tina 641/10 from Cliff England: http://www.nuttrees.net/graftingknives.html

This is a little more expensive but $40 is about the minimum for a good left handed grafting knife. I'm paying about $50 for this with shipping but it is a high quality knife and I'm supporting a good orchard that has been very helpful with advice to me.

Thanks,

Jack

Interesting thought on the cutting direction - "away" direction and no doubt cutting harder wood with the cut coming at your fingers is more dangerous. When you get the knife and try it out let us know please.

I have a folding knife and have thought about buying a fixed blade for a 2nd as 90% of my grafting is done sitting indoors on a stool and a bench set up - they tend to be less expensive too. It maybe stupid but I have always had the fear of the blade closing up and lopping off a finger or two. Anybody use a fixed grafting blade knife???

Then again... I do the tongue method so no matter what I have to do at least one cut cutting towards me.

This is a good thread, and it just got me thinking about grafting. For apples, which are pretty soft wood, my current grafting knife works just fine. However, for some trees with harder wood, it can take significantly more force to cut, even with a very sharp knife. Typically, right handed grafting knives are less expensive because they are produced in higher volume. That is what I have. A right handed grafting knife is designed (if held in the right hand) to cut toward yourself with the scrap wood on the bevel side and the good wood on the flat side. This is what gives you the clean cambium exposure. (I have to admit that when I first started grafting, I didn't even know this). A left handed grafting knife (if held in the right hand) allows you to make the same cut away from yourself. With softer wood I can go slower and control the pressure so toward myself is OK. With harder wood, I'd be more comfortable cutting away from myself for safety.

So, I decided to make the plunge and add a left handed grafting knife to my inventory. I just ordered the Tina 641/10 from Cliff England: http://www.nuttrees.net/graftingknives.html

This is a little more expensive but $40 is about the minimum for a good left handed grafting knife. I'm paying about $50 for this with shipping but it is a high quality knife and I'm supporting a good orchard that has been very helpful with advice to me.

Thanks,

Jack

Hence why I tried explaining this last week and heard crickets. Just made sense to me since last spring grafting almost 200 rootstock!

Hence why I tried explaining this last week and heard crickets. Just made sense to me since last spring grafting almost 200 rootstock!

Yes, it was your post that got me thinking. I have the right handed version of the Victorinox and like it. I considered buying the left handed version like you but figured it was only a few more bucks for the Tina and it would support Cliff. I just finished the transaction with Cliff. I should have the knife before I get my GRIN order. I'll report back as soon as I try it.

Thanks,

Jack

If you check that mora chisel knife out it would be considered a lefty grafting knife. I was considering getting one just for the same reason so I can cut away.

If you check that mora chisel knife out it would be considered a lefty grafting knife. I was considering getting one just for the same reason so I can cut away.

Much less expensive but I wonder how well it would do for fine bench grafting work. It is advertised as a wood working chisel. If so, the bevel would have a pretty high angle on it and I would expect it to be thick. I don't know, I haven't seen one, but I'd check it out before ordering to make sure it is what you want.

Thanks,

Jack

I dont use it for cleft grafts, and I imagine it would not work well for splitting narrow stocks. It is great for side grafts and bark grafts on larger trees with thicker bark. Especially useful when field grafting low on a large diameter trunk. And of course it cuts scions well.

For splitting rootstocks or t-budding, the "Flex" style is good. Actually the Flex knife is great for almost anything.

I dont use it for cleft grafts, and I imagine it would not work well for splitting narrow stocks. It is great for side grafts and bark grafts on larger trees with thicker bark. Especially useful when field grafting low on a large diameter trunk. And of course it cuts scions well.

For splitting rootstocks or t-budding, the "Flex" style is good. Actually the Flex knife is great for almost anything.

That makes sense. I chisel knife would be great for cleft grafting in the field with larger stock.

chisel knife would be great for cleft grafting in the field with larger stock.

I may go against the grain here, but for cleft grafting, I like a double bevel knife. And any larger stock I would graft with a bark graft, as I think it has a much better chance for success than cleft grafts, and it's less "invasive" in that I don't have to split the branch.

For cleft grafting I saw some commercial guys using modified kitchen knives cut down (basically cutting the front half of the knife off) the back of the blade is wide enough to be pounded on to drive the knife down. The one image is a commercial one but using a cut down minus the pointed stub you could still spread the cut buy inserting the end like a lever. Everyone has some old large kitchen knives. The other image is my crude paint version of what I saw. They were doing an entire orchard that was being re worked, every tree, to a different more marketable variety.

Attachments

• cleft_grafting_and_budding_knife_db_art275_l.jpg
    cleft_grafting_and_budding_knife_db_art275_l.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • knife.png
    knife.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 19
For cleft grafting I saw some commercial guys using modified kitchen knives cut down (basically cutting the front half of the knife off) the back of the blade is wide enough to be pounded on to drive the knife down. The one image is a commercial one but using a cut down minus the pointed stub you could still spread the cut buy inserting the end like a lever. Everyone has some old large kitchen knives. The other image is my crude paint version of what I saw. They were doing an entire orchard that was being re worked, every tree, to a different more marketable variety.

One heck of a dedicated apple grafter if you actually cut up a Wusthof Ikon!

One heck of a dedicated apple grafter if you actually cut up a Wusthof Ikon!

Wow Im impressed! You know your Knives!!!!!!!!!!! It was just a pic I cut and pasted... But, I actually did just go back and checked the original image and you are right on the money. I bought a $14 Chicago Cutlery Meat clever the other day that Im going to cut down for the job. I broke down and also got a F8 felco hand pruner for a late x-mass happy new year present so Im adding a few tools to the inventory this year.