All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing Day Gobbler

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Today was the last day of the Mass. spring turkey season. These days it's not about me anymore. I really live to hunt turkeys with my 13 year old, and unless he's available to go out with me, I don't go out. Well, we had a slow season...not too many turkeys on the land. He's been busy with travel and club soccer every weekend. Today was the same...he had a late night last night...he's got a big game later this morning...he wanted to sleep in.

At sunrise I heard a few birds gobbling from my back deck out on the back 40....a rare event. So, I decided to go out by myself and ended up calling in two 2 year old birds...shot the first one doing all the gobbling. Pretty typical bird for around here...2 year old with 3/4" spurs, 8" beard, maybe 18 lbs. on a good day. Had to go left handed to make the shot.

Glad to have a bird on the ground. But it's just not the same thrill anymore as when I hunt with my son.

IMG_3868.jpg