All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Checking Deer Rifles 2023

Beware of the man that has only one gun……….

He probably knows it well.

Weatherby rifles incorporated a “ free jump” throat before the rifeling.

Barnes copper bullets recommend right or near the rifling.

The weirdest deal I have had is the 6.5 x 55 husqavarna bolt actions in model 98.

The earlier made one ( a rifle with a steel floor plate) got “ sticky “ on extraction mid book. I thought that interesting as the “book” loads were for the weaker model 96. Swede action

The other one ( a carbine) kept going past book. I don’t remember it’s floor plate but I think it was the later aluminum plate. It kept on keeping on. I finally just called it good

Late to the game here but this is the problem I had. A M96 Swede, made in 1915 at Carl Gustafs , the bolt and reciever were out of spec. They were both too soft and I sent them to a gunsmith who reheat treated both and brought them into spec. Never had a problem after being heat treated.

I was working some loads and had one stick. I had to pound the bolt open with my hand. When I got it open the primer was laying on the head of the case and I had broken the extractor claw and the case was stuck in the chamber, had to pound the case out with a wood dowel.

After that experience I had my M38 Swede checked and the reciever and bolt were both ok.