All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MOA Challenge

Ok

i won’t be home until September 7.

I got a few rimfires!

Well I have got to wait until the daytime high temp drops below Satan is at the door asking to borrow a cup of sugar anyway so that maybe September sometime anyway.

I took the 6.5 prc out yesterday. I tried three new loads that produced something that was not even worth the photo. 3" - 1.5" groups at 100yds. I still feeling inconsistency in my case sizing when I chamber rounds, so that's part of the problem. The only good news is the non-lead barnes did the best, which is what will be used in the field. I am still not hip on a 6.5 for elk. A friend shot one with a 6.5cm last year and was very disappointed in the performance.

This thread made me think of last fall when I was checking our deer rifles. My son has a 30-06 that my dad gave him, and I handload for it. It’s now a spare rifle, because we both shoot 300 mags. I shot the 06 one shot at 200 and just put it back in the case. See below. That’s a full throttle load with a 150 grain Hornady SST bullet

I’m going to shoot that gun again in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

IMG_2120.jpeg

I should have shot a bit this weekend it was somewhat cooler but I was sprayed Johnson grass and brush before I managed to tear the wires out of the PTO solenoid. After that I called my boys to the new farm and we tore half of the roof tin off one of the barns that’s getting a new roof this fall. The wind had already removed about 15% of the tin for us.

Getting ready for my Moose hunt. Sighted in my 300 WIN MAG at 100yards with 180 grain bullet. The last 3 circled were after I adjusted after the first couple of shots. Was off a shooting bag.

1693846691905.png

Last edited:
This thread made me think of last fall when I was checking our deer rifles. My son has a 30-06 that my dad gave him, and I handload for it. It’s now a spare rifle, because we both shoot 300 mags. I shot the 06 one shot at 200 and just put it back in the case. See below. That’s a full throttle load with a 150 grain Hornady SST bullet

I’m going to shoot that gun again in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

View attachment 56462

Looks like you're between scope clicks on zeroing. Just have to remember to hold one half of a 1/4 MOA click low haha.

Well I finally did a bit of shooting today may play around some more but so far I really like the Norma Tac-22 ammo. I’ve tried 8 different ammo’s out of two different guns 50 yds from a bench 5 round groups. I will likely be buying more of the Norma Tac-22 ammo looks like good stuff.

Magnum Research 10/22 clone

Remington Golden bullet value pack 1.27”
Winchester 333 pack 36 gr 2.64”
Federal Champion 325 round blue box 2.30”
Winchester Super X 40gr 2.17”
Federal Auto Match brown box 40gr 1.46”
Aguila Super Extra 40gr 1.22”
Federal Auto Match Target Grade 40gr 1.05”
Norma Tac-22 .58”

Ruger M77 target model

Remington Golden bullet value pack 2.33”
Winchester 333 pack 36 gr 1.72”
Federal Champion 325 round blue box .74”
Winchester Super X 40gr 1.26”
Federal Auto Match brown box 40gr 1.19”
Aguila Super Extra 40gr 1.66”
Federal Auto Match Target Grade 40gr 1.25”
Norma Tac-22 .88”

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Shot a savage 1899 TD in 300 savage. 168 grain nosler combined technology’s

A .308 BLR take down. 165 swift sciroccos

note the group the BLR shot before I moved the scope!

100 yards to a piss poor rest on the back of a flat bed.

two inch groups of two shots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 15
Shot a savage 1899 TD in 300 savage. 168 grain nosler combined technology’s

A .308 BLR take down. 165 swift sciroccos

note the group the BLR shot before I moved the scope!

100 yards to a piss poor rest on the back of a flat bed.

two inch groups of two shots.
My brother used a model 99 Savage as his hunting gun growing up he loved that thing. I believe he still has it in his safe but it doesn't see to much inclement weather in a deer stand any more.

My brother used a model 99 Savage as his hunting gun growing up he loved that thing. I believe he still has it in his safe but it doesn't see to much inclement weather in a deer stand any more.
I had a savage 99 in 250 Savage. Was just a beautiful gun. Sold it many years ago in a weak moment. Always regretted that sale. It was best as an antelope gun I suppose.

Then I got another Savage 99 from my BIL whom took it in place of cash on a past due debt. I paid him a fair price for it. It too is a very nice gun....and it's in 308 Winchester. Perfect for my needs. I put a scope on it and it is a real shooter. Will group at about .5". The only bad thing is the trigger is a bit crunchy....so you really need to focus on shooting it. Not many smiths are willing (or qualified IMO) to do a trigger job on these great guns.....or I would have it done by now.

I may have to take that gun hunting this year. I sure love the looks, feel and ability of those well made, classic guns. It just fits my body.

This 1899 is my go to rat dog take down.

I had the barrel cut down and target crowned, thinking about getting a front sight put back on her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 12
This 1899 is my go to rat dog take down.

I had the barrel cut down and target crowned, thinking about getting a front sight put back on her.
I had no idea they ever made that style rifle in a takedown that is a very cool old rifle. I best not mention that to my brother he will be down that rabbit hole.

I can sell him one.

you could give it to him for Christmas!

No thanks but that is cool old rifle

I had a savage 99 in 250 Savage. Was just a beautiful gun. Sold it many years ago in a weak moment. Always regretted that sale. It was best as an antelope gun I suppose.

Then I got another Savage 99 from my BIL whom took it in place of cash on a past due debt. I paid him a fair price for it. It too is a very nice gun....and it's in 308 Winchester. Perfect for my needs. I put a scope on it and it is a real shooter. Will group at about .5". The only bad thing is the trigger is a bit crunchy....so you really need to focus on shooting it. Not many smiths are willing (or qualified IMO) to do a trigger job on these great guns.....or I would have it done by now.

I may have to take that gun hunting this year. I sure love the looks, feel and ability of those well made, classic guns. It just fits my body.
I agree I have owned several 1899/99s they all shoot well.

The actions are not as strong, so reloading is a challenge,

I think the barrels were made very well.

The triggers can be dodgy.

There is a gun smith i follow on another forum that does very cool work on some of these old lever guns, ruger #1's, etc if anyone ever had a one off project request he'd be a good guy to talk to.

There is a gun smith i follow on another forum that does very cool work on some of these old lever guns, ruger #1's, etc if anyone ever had a one off project request he'd be a good guy to talk to.

Where is he located (cannot tell from website).