All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what's the fastest growing, easiest and most aggressive perennial white clover to get established?

bornagain62511

5 year old buck +
Hey all, just wondering from the many different varieties out there, what has been your experience with the most aggressive and easiest and fastest establishing white clover varieties? Looking for any that would be especially aggressive as we don't like to use roundup or herbicides to kill weeds so we depend on timely soil preparation and planting. I've heard Durana and Patriot are good, but are they much different than other varieties, or are results similar with any of the white clovers from welter's seed?

thanks

Tagged

I’ve only done ladino but it’s been easy to establish at the right time (fall) with the proper nurse crop (wheat or rye) and proper management (timely mowing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quite honestly, I think it basically comes down to what YOUR soil likes best and NOT X-Y-or Z brand /type of clover planted
as if your soil isn;t good for clover, other things will always out grow it, and as such, you will have to deal with those things taking over your clover plot!
this is honestly WHY< they sell chemicals exactly for treating things IN clover plots!

you also have to look at the surroundings, as a LOT of things DRIFT into plots
so knowing when other things about your soon to be clover plot, and timing planting long before they go into seed heads, and what others close by have going on, as seeds will travel far in windy days!

i so this also what you have to be trying to work with and not against when planting and NOT wishing to use any chemicals to control invasive non wanted plants in a clover plot!(all seeds will come with some in the bag, like it or not, NO seed is 100% PURE clover seed when buying it!)

GOOD luck
I gave up yrs ago, much less aggravation to just spray as needed! LOL!

I have had great luck with durana. Can control most broadleaf “weeds” with Mowing and other than a patch or two of johnson grass, have not had a grass species invade in the summer.

Will is good, and disease resistance is good.
Alice has biggest leaf area of any we've grown.
Planted some Seminole, back in 1998, that did really well, but have not been able to find it again.

Years ago I bought the cheapest ladino I could find on ebay. I grew a beautiful plot, the deer didn't care for it much though as I am surrounded by agriculture. I don't blame them beans and corn are much better eating. 6 years later I am trying renovation clover and durana clover. I frost seeded it after a turnip and radish plot. It has really taken off. The growth has been amazing, I am hoping it is more palatable, but time will tell.

Not sure where you are but here in the south Durana is very popular and is a great clover but I swapped to Alice quite a few years ago and like it just as well for a lot less money.

I use alice. If I was in your shoes I would fall plant with a cereal but would also add an annual clover to help get a jump start on the weeds.

Hey all, just wondering from the many different varieties out there, what has been your experience with the most aggressive and easiest and fastest establishing white clover varieties? Looking for any that would be especially aggressive as we don't like to use roundup or herbicides to kill weeds so we depend on timely soil preparation and planting. I've heard Durana and Patriot are good, but are they much different than other varieties, or are results similar with any of the white clovers from welter's seed?

thanks

Generally, the longer lasting a clover is, the longer and harder it is to establish. The key is finding the right clover for your situation and needs. I probably use herbicides with clover about twice in 10 years. Also keep in mind that using tilling to kill weeds has big downsides. In order to really kill weeds, you need a bottom plow that turns the soil. Google "Ray the soil guy" and watch some videos. Start with infiltration. This will give you a new perspective on using tillage.

For me the key is balance. Judicious use of both tillage and herbicides can really have great advantages. When you depend on one thing and do it frequently problems arise. I've got experience with Patriot White, Durana, Ladino, LA-S1, and many others. I've recently been experimenting with the Aberlasting sold by Welter.

My approach is to focus on weeds at the beginning and then employ weed tolerance. Folks are often under the misconception that clean monocultures represent great fields for deer. They don't. This largely comes from us deer managers looking at farm fields and using that as a definition of success. Yield is king for a farmer but unimportant for deer management. A "weed" is simply a plant growing where you don't want it. For a farmer, anything other than what he plants growing in his field is a weed taking resources. Many broadleaf weeds are better deer food than the crops we plant, so "weed" has a different context for deer management.

I only plant perennial clover in the fall and always with a Winter Rye nurse crop. I use glyphosate for the initial burn down and use throw-n-mow or min-till techniques for planting. My go-to clover is Durana. It is more drought resistant and longer lived that an unimproved clover like Ladino, but it is slow to establish. One technique that works well is mixing it with Patriot white. Patriot White is much faster to establish but is not a long-lived. They fields starts out 50/50 but eventually the Durana takes over. I found I don't really need the Patriot White if I use timely mowing the first spring. Each time the WR hits a foot or so, I mow it back to 6" with durana (8" with most other clovers). This keeps the WR alive but sets it back. It allows sunlight to the durana. The WR has an allelopathic effect on weeds as well as taking up space and resources that weeds would otherwise use. The clover germinates in the fall, so by spring, it has an advantage over weeds seeds that are germinating. I repeat this mowing anytime the WR gets a bit over a foot that first spring. By summer the WR dies naturally but by then, the durana is established and has filled in .

After that first spring, I only mow once a year, just before our archery season. In the summer, my plots look like weed fields in the summer and get worse every year, but after I mow in the fall and evening temps drop and more frequent rain comes and favors the clover, the Durana bounces back and dominates the field.

By about year 7 or so, the field is generally more weeds than clover. If I have time, I'll rotate the field into some N seeking crop for a season before going back to clover. If I don't have time. I'll deploy gly again. This time, I'll hit it with only 1 qt/ac. It is enough to kill the grasses that are now dominating the field. It top kills the durana. I have a little Kasco no-till versadrill. I'll then drill radish and WR into the field. This uses some of the excess N that the clover has fixed into the soil over the years. The radish and wr germinate and get started before the Durana bounce back from the root system. Here is a pic:

01814a24-edac-4ef4-aa57-8aa9e41d13bd.jpg

You can see how the clover bounces back. The key here is timing. You need to do this with rain in the forecast. If you don't want to use gly for this you can also bushhog the clover flat to top kill it. This does not kill the grasses so it does not last as long.

At this point, I'll generally get another 3 years out of the field before needing to rotate.

One of the most aggressive perennial clovers is medium red. It is what they call a "short-lived" perennial. It establishes very fast and generally only lasts 2 years. LA-S1 is less expensive than durana. It does well for me but does not last quite as long and is not quite as drought resistant. I planted Aberlasting last fall for the first time, so I don't have enough experience with it to say much.

Thanks,

Jack

Have used medium red clover and Ladino Big Jumbo from Welters last 6-7 years and been happy with production and deer use.

Talk to your local Feed & Seed mill as they are providing what works well in your area.

Thanks to everyone who posted. just to clarify, I've been doing food plots for 23 years and have done lots of clover plots that turned out fantastic with solid stands of white clover, simply by working the soil in August and planting white clover with winter rye. I was simply asking to see what others have used since it's been at least a few years since we started a new clover plot and I haven't been on here much to see what others are planting and I know there are constantly new seed varieties and new methods being used. I agree with yoder, minimum use of tilling is very important. The soil structure is so important. in the early years of food plotting we used a bottom plow to turn the soil over and that destroyed our soil structure and fertility after a number of years. it's been at least 15 year since we used the bottom plow on our plots. been using a disc chisel in more recent years. but I've noticed that it's vital to the structure and fertility of the soil to have at least a few years of rest with no tilling every so often, thus the purpose for either alfalfa or clover for 3 to 4 years to restructure and restore the vitality of the soil. Welters said that Legacy and Renovation clovers would be good for what I was looking for. I'm thinking that mlixing them 50:50 would provide the best of both in a plot. Legacy "is an exceptionally high yielding, large leaf clover with a tall growth habit." and "Renovation White Clover is a new cultivar bred for increased stolon density- utilizing a combination of long-lived Southern Plain ecotype clover and a disease resistant ladino clover. This breeding results in increased persistence & longeivity even under grazing , which makes Renovation an ideal component in pastures and wildlife food plots."

Hey all, just wondering from the many different varieties out there, what has been your experience with the most aggressive and easiest and fastest establishing white clover varieties? Looking for any that would be especially aggressive as we don't like to use roundup or herbicides to kill weeds so we depend on timely soil preparation and planting. I've heard Durana and Patriot are good, but are they much different than other varieties, or are results similar with any of the white clovers from welter's seed? thanks

I don't think the performance frontier in clover is in the variety. With that said, I am going to try some mini white clover on an expansion this year.

If you are looking for fast establishment, I would plant a mix of Frosty, Balansa and Aberlasting. The Frosty and Balansa are super performing annuals that will act as a nurse crop for the Aberlasting. Depending on your conditions, you may still have a good amount of Frosty and Balansa after the first year. I would also recommend frost seeding a mix with three varieties of white clover the first winter to ensure a full perennial white stand that season. For example, Aberlasting/Alice/Jumbo.

If you are looking for fast establishment, I would plant a mix of Frosty, Balansa and Aberlasting. The Frosty and Balansa are super performing annuals that will act as a nurse crop for the Aberlasting. Depending on your conditions, you may still have a good amount of Frosty and Balansa after the first year. I would also recommend frost seeding a mix with three varieties of white clover the first winter to ensure a full perennial white stand that season. For example, Aberlasting/Alice/Jumbo.

How long will the annual clovers (Frosty Berseem and Balansa) last into the fall? As long as perennial red and white clover or longer (or shorter)?