What will be planted next?

paoharcher

Yearling... With promise
Farm i hunt has had corn the last 2 years,talked to owner today and the guy that farms it for him said he planted oats last week.how will that effect the deer and once it is harvested what do you all think he will plant then.he never told owner what he was going to plant after the oats? Thanks!
Southwest pa.

Why not simply ask him.

The guy that farms the land lives several hours away,he only come up to plant or harvest.and almost impossible to get ahold of.

In my experience in sc Pa, corn gets rotated with beans.

When oats get harvested they generally spill enough to create an accidental fall food plot.

You never know what crop may be the most profitable for farmers. If the tariffs to China on beans holds true, some farmers may choose to not do the typical rotation. I wonder how many farmers won't plant beans this year??

Whatever he plants .....more than likely the deer will be interested in it to some extent. I would be far more concerned if he is doing any fall spraying or tillage. That can turn essentially a large food plot.....into a virtual parking lot as far as food value is concerned. Another option - is IF you can talk to those involved - is to broadcast some basic brassica and cereal grains (turnips and oats or wheat or even rye) as soon as harvest is complete. It won't produce a ton of food, but it can hold the deer's attention. You don't need to do the entire field just where you want it and in most cases it's organic matter for the farmer.... You may need to put a little spin on this plan.....use the "help me, help you" spin. By allowing you to broadcast something for the deer to eat, you can be more successful in killing deer...which most farmers will appreciate as they see deer as profit robbers. You can also offer to do it in areas that might see some erosion as well if that works for you.....this will help retain the top soil that may help the farmer agree as well. Don't expect him to cooperate just because he is a nice guy, give him some upside in the deal if possible. You may even want to use the term "cover crop" as they will understand that as well......especially in the erosion prone areas. Good luck.

Whatever he plants .....more than likely the deer will be interested in it to some extent. I would be far more concerned if he is doing any fall spraying or tillage. That can turn essentially a large food plot.....into a virtual parking lot as far as food value is concerned. Another option - is IF you can talk to those involved - is to broadcast some basic brassica and cereal grains (turnips and oats or wheat or even rye) as soon as harvest is complete. It won't produce a ton of food, but it can hold the deer's attention. You don't need to do the entire field just where you want it and in most cases it's organic matter for the farmer.... You may need to put a little spin on this plan.....use the "help me, help you" spin. By allowing you to broadcast something for the deer to eat, you can be more successful in killing deer...which most farmers will appreciate as they see deer as profit robbers. You can also offer to do it in areas that might see some erosion as well if that works for you.....this will help retain the top soil that may help the farmer agree as well. Don't expect him to cooperate just because he is a nice guy, give him some upside in the deal if possible. You may even want to use the term "cover crop" as they will understand that as well......especially in the erosion prone areas. Good luck.

The oats will be harvested in plenty of time to do a brassica/cereal "cover crop" if the farmer allows. Any chance he is planting alfalfa with it and sub leasing to a local farmer? Alfalfa usually gets planted with oats.

Not sure,my buddy that owns the land thought they were just doing corn soy bean rotation

It's possible they could do beans after the oat harvest depending on the different varieties of crops being planted.

I would assume the oats will be ready to harvest by mid summer (like most cereal grains) so there is a chance that the farmer could try a late season (short growing season) soybean as well after the oats. I have seen this done with wheat where the combine is essentially followed by a bean drill in an effort to give the beans as much tie as possible. If they do this the beans will be very small but very bushy and loaded with pods. This would then typically be followed by a corn crop the following year to make use of the available N in the soil from the soybeans.