All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this black fuzz on peach tree branches?

Benja

5 year old buck +
I noticed this short black fuzz on the branches of a ~6 year old Contender peach tree in my home orchard yesterday. It covers most branches on this tree, with two primary exceptions - last year's growth and the rough bark on trunk of the tree.
Several internet searches and a bunch of articles later, I still don't know if I should be worried about this. So, I thought I'd run it past folks here on the forum. Anybody know what this is?

Attachments

• 20220402_132546_resized_20220403-080530.jpg
    20220402_132546_resized_20220403-080530.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 14
I am guessing a slight surface mold, nothing to be concerned about. Take a wet rag and see if it doesn't pretty much just wipe off the branch. I am not saying clean the entire tree, just see if it wipes off easily.

I am guessing a slight surface mold, nothing to be concerned about. Take a wet rag and see if it doesn't pretty much just wipe off the branch. I am not saying clean the entire tree, just see if it wipes off easily.
Yes, it wipes off after a vigorous bit of scrubbing. I'll keep a close watch on this tree through the summer to see if continues in good health. Maybe I'll douse it with an extra round of fungicide.

Attachments

• 20220404_192600.jpg
    20220404_192600.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 6