All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trelis Cost, setup..

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
I'm just curious if you wanted to have like a 20-50 yd trellis apple deal in your yard, for no other reason than, why not. What is the cost for something like that. How do you set stuff up.

I'm not saying i'm gonna do that, i'm just curious. How many trees do you put on something like that. My ground is very loose sand well draining, so it would be a pretty stock to have to grow in it. Right now my yard has G30 & M7s....

I'm not a mechanical guy so I'm not sure how ya'll set them up in the first place.

My current one is based on tall spindle orchard design. Though I know there are other design methods being used. I believe Maya's is tall spindle as well. I would guess mine is 30 yards long currently. I have it along my property line at my house. If I was guessing I would say I have less than $200 into it. 2 4x6" end posts, some 12 gauge wire, earth anchors for the wires to end into, and conduit for temporary tree guides. Trellis design is influenced by soil type and wind load. Just saw a article in the past few months on that but who knows where! Spacing for trees depends on root stock and variety of apples (different vigor rates). My trees are 3' apart. Started out with B9 root stock and havent been overly impressed .... lacks the horse power in my climate. I have a tree on M9 that I really like the vigor of, but might be a related to variety on it. Put a few M7 trees into it this year, though they might have too much vigor. Mine is still a work in progress!:emoji_relaxed:

I'd bet your wind load for trellis is rather high. :)

I'd bet your wind load for trellis is rather high. :)

YES it is!! You can tell when its NOT windy here because people fall over ..... you grow a customed to leaning into the wind so much you depend on it to correct the lean you have developed over the years!:emoji_grinning:

Last edited: