All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree growing experiment

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
So just wanted to put this out there. Maybe it’s well known or has been done before but not sure. Just food for thought.

So back story is I grow like a lot of y’all in pots. I have lost whole crops due to vacation and someone forgets to water while I’m gone. I get tired of none stop watering all summer. So this year I played with some new ideas. I took a feed tub and put like 6 in gravel in bottom. Then a lot of sticks fairly small stuff but some up to couple inches. Mostly more rotten as well. Also mixed some leaf mulch and spoiled hay. Then I put raised bed mix on top to plant in. Once trees where up cover top of soil with leaves. End result was very good I thought. I only watered when it was crazy hot and weeks without rain. Even then I only water couple times a week and by dumping gallon bucket of water in tub. I had I think 8 trees in the tub.
7bbfa2af9220130c1a7669f54e805e19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy root ball for just a twig.

Looks like it worked pretty well. Nice root mass.