All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trailer parts

bueller

Going to Canada in a few weeks for the first time so my boat trailer which is normally only used for short runs to/from the river needed some attention. I found posts on another forum of people recommending www.recstuff.com for parts. I checked them out and they had what I needed and the prices were excellent. I ordered pre-greased pre-assembled hubs (bearings,etc.), new tires and rims, and new taillights. They sell some rim/tire combos but if they don't have what you need (they didn't in my case) they will mount and install valve stems for no charge if you buy a rim and a tire. All this delivered to my door in two business days for under $200.

I imagine most on this forum have at least one trailer they use. I have NO affiliation with this company but thought the referral may help someone at some point.

Great advice. I traveled to Northern MN last week and for the first year I took along spare wheel bearings for my 15 yr old trailer. I'll put my 3rd set of new tires on the trailer next year, even though the rubber looks great. A new hub ready to go is a good idea. Travel with all the bulbs you may need and of course all the tools and rags, extra cribbing, bottle jack, etc.

I used to carry an extra set of bearings with me but after installing the new hubs I decided to order another one for a spare. Cheap insurance plus if a bearing is bad enough for me to change on the side of the road the hub itself has probably suffered irreversible damage too.

Haha yeah true enough. Or a spindle boogered up. Some of that stuff doesn't buff out. I want to trade boats sometime, and when I asked the missus what her favorite features of our current boat are, all she said was "the no payment part."

Bearings, grease, electrical connections, spare tire, & tie down straps.

Those are the critical ... post pics of your adventure.

Great advice on carrying all the necessary spare parts. I might add that one should carry a dedicated trailer jack and even a piece of 6''x6'' to put underneath the jack. I carry a two ton jack and have special jacking plates welded on my trailer so when it is time to get it up off the ground I know exactly where I am going to place my jack. They are just flat pieces welded to the appropriate place on your trailer. I have had round circles welded to the plates so that the ram from the jack has a female place to fit while jacking. I find most scissor car jacks unsuitable for jacking up a trailer.

I second this place, have been buying off them for a few yrs now, always fast service and great prices!
BEST prices actually I have found on trailer tires