All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switchgrass is weedy...

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I've got some foxtail and other broadleaf in my new switch stand. Frost seeded it last spring (2023). I'd like to give it a leg up. I'd no tilled it previously and must have gone too deep as it didn't really take well. We've tried to burn it, but it didn't really take off and we waited a while so we wouldn't burn down the neighbor's house. Would you guys recommend hitting it with a 2-4D to get the other nonsense out of there?

I read OUST XP may be a good application, pre emergent, but I think that's gone for this year. Maybe next spring.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

I had a 10 acre field that I considered a complete failure due to weeds after the second summer. The following spring I hit it early in April with gly. Switch took off that summer.
2-4,D won't hurt now but it won't clean up the other grasses.

Quinclorac with MSO will kill off the foxtail if it's young enough. 2-4,D will set back the broadleafs but broadleafs aren't the worst in a switchgrass stand depending on what you want. If it's bedding, you'll want some diversity. If it's just a screen or non-deer area, then hit it with the 2-4,D at one pint per acre to weaken broadleafs.

Keep mowed about a ft tall first year