All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring weeds

Brian662

5 year old buck +
I've been thinking recently of some early flushes of weeds that grow in some of my plots. I don't really pay much attention to them this time of year or worry about them. Curious what others see.

A new one I see this year is identified as Shepherd's purse. It has already bolted and grows aggressively alongside my rye and crimson clover cover crops in SE MN.20240501_183212.jpg

In SW WI, I've noticed a lot of yellow rocket that bolts early and also competes fine with rye.

In the little research I've done, both of these weeds come from Europe and Asia.

I dont' know anything about those two, but I cannot believe how far along your rye is. Mine is just barely showing green and 2" long.

I dont' know anything about those two, but I cannot believe how far along your rye is. Mine is just barely showing green and 2" long.
It's probably 6-8" already, the deer have been hitting it pretty hard but with the mild winter, lack of snow, and steady spring rains I think it has gotten the early jump on the browse.20240501_180425.jpg

Looks like you've got some really good soil there. Lots of tillers coming off those plants to fill in the gaps. I expect to see tall rye this year given the early spring. I hope so anyway. I wonder where the rye is for the southern guys.

pushing 4 feet and starting to tiller in East Texas

bill

Butterweed is bad here. Daffodils pop up anywhere there was an old home place. May pop is another annoying one. But the devil is the grasses. They are so aggressive this time of year.

That's a nice rye cover crop. I don't know anything about shepherd's purse, but it doesn't look like the type of weed that I would be too worried about. My SE MN winter rye is looking excellent because it was broadcast last August in drought stunted soybeans. My rye came in so thick that the weeds there don't have much of a chance.

I brush hogged my drought stricken standing corn stalks a week ago and it was pretty pathetic. I didn't overseed that with rye and I probably should have. There's a lot of open ground there and the weeds are starting to fill in. I will dig everything up in a week or two and then follow up with some herbicides after planting and hopefully that will give my new crop a head start.

I'm actually a little concerned about my rye getting too tall prior to digging up the field. My sandy soil can use the organic matter though, so I'll probably let it grow until then and hope for the best.

That's a nice rye cover crop. I don't know anything about shepherd's purse, but it doesn't look like the type of weed that I would be too worried about. My SE MN winter rye is looking excellent because it was broadcast last August in drought stunted soybeans. My rye came in so thick that the weeds there don't have much of a chance.

I brush hogged my drought stricken standing corn stalks a week ago and it was pretty pathetic. I didn't overseed that with rye and I probably should have. There's a lot of open ground there and the weeds are starting to fill in. I will dig everything up in a week or two and then follow up with some herbicides after planting and hopefully that will give my new crop a head start.

I'm actually a little concerned about my rye getting too tall prior to digging up the field. My sandy soil can use the organic matter though, so I'll probably let it grow until then and hope for the best.
I no tilled corn into rye last year and didn't terminate the rye at planting, that was a big mistake. The corn fought the rye for nitrogen and struggled all year long after the slow start. Doesn't sound like the same thing you're talking about but something to keep in mind.

I’ll take a picture of mine this weekend. It’s bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see my plot everytime I go home. Sprayed gly last week or so. Red aramath was on 1st or 2nd leaf with rye about 8-10 inches tall here in old SDA zone 5 NY. I sprayed a 2nd pass where the aramath was thicker as well as the new expansion of the plot. maybe a 1/10 acre more if that.

Seeing remnants of the old lawn in there. Common perennial grasses and weeds. Creeping charlie is everywhere in my backyard.

Virtually all my food plots up north are converted log landings. Weeds just bring deep nutreints and add organic matter to fall plantings. Any food plot area that could use improvement got a good dose of crimson clover the 1st week of april. One plot got a few bags of lime and fertilizer. I've been adding one plot area a year and doing one existing plot well. I may not do a new plot this year and focus on making the ones I have nicer. However, Adding fruit trees to edges of 2 new potential plot areas.

2 shots of gly kills the red amaranth?

Takes some 2-4,D around here.

I bet Baker has 6’ tall rye already.

5c57f00f06d7c4c279835b9371cc9276.jpg

11c00bdd6b64af340350523742046b14.jpg

3a7d00c5907d8a51ae5a0a13a6bbf26e.jpg

Dang that's some thick rye, 200 lbs/acre?

Something like that.

Something like that.

Nothing eats it though.