Question about protecting wild plum/Elderberry

ToddG

5 year old buck +
I planted 120 Elderberry and Wild Plums in tree tubes 2 years ago and am in the process of replacing the tree tubes with 4 ft fencing. Do I need to screen the base of the plants to protect against rodents like you do apple trees?
Thanks,

Todd, at least where I'm at, I've never had any problems with rodents bothering either. My plums and elderberries are both wild varieties that I keep other trees out of though if that makes a difference.
They love apples, as you know, and I've saw them girdle sumac.but can't recall them really hammering much else.
At the very least, you could screen some of yours just in case the critters in va have a taste for both. Good luck with your planting.

I can't speak to the plumbs, but Elderberry is a preferred browse species. In our area winters are pretty light and there is lots of browse, so I haven't actually seen a lot of browsing on my Elderberry. It may need protection during establishment but not after 2 years. Deer can browse it to the ground and it will regenerate from the root system. I wouldn't worry about protecting it in your case.

Thanks,

jack

I planted 120 Elderberry and Wild Plums in tree tubes 2 years ago and am in the process of replacing the tree tubes with 4 ft fencing. Do I need to screen the base of the plants to protect against rodents like you do apple trees?
Thanks,

No, I would not worry about it.

I've not had a problem with that myself. I did have a problem getting elderberry established without cages. But for me anyway, once the bush matured quite a bit, I could then remove the cages. The mature bush could take the browsing then. But, this is in an area with fairly low deer density.