Posts to hold cement wire.....

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Anyone have a better idea than t-posts before I pay $3.50 a piece for 40 of them? LOL......

EMT conduit
Costs about $1 per 5' if you cut the 10' in half.

Like others have said conduit but I use the 3/4" PVC and it's $2.60 per 10' so it's $1.30.

For cages? Sometimes my cages are big enough diameter that it's rare for them to blow over. When I want to stake them I use either wood or rebar posts. About 1.5ft long. Two per cage. Opposite of each other. Hammered in at an angle towards the center to hold the bottom wire to the ground. These don't get pushed or blown over.

I've used wooden stakes but I'm finding that they rot and break off after 4 or 5 years.

I know we use conduit for tree stakes but i've not seen it for holding the cages, not a terrible idea. :)

I have not staked some of them, but in a field we seem to get a lot of stiff winds and the cages to end up either against the tree or some other kind of curfluffle that causes a problem when not staked.

I've used wooden stakes but I'm finding that they rot and break off after 4 or 5 years.

I've found the same to be true... but wood works for me if I don't want to spend extra money or make a trip into town.

I use pvc for tree tubes and most round cages. 1 or 2 per cage. Most of my cages are smaller diameter out of 48" welded wire. I'm not worried about deer bending the cages over.

I use cheaper "U" posts - 3 footer is less than $2......

I have used wood - but it rots, and true "T" posts can get expensive and in my area seem to be more than I really need (I don;t have bears or hogs or the like). I have NOT used any conduit.....yet, but sounds like I need to

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...heavy-duty-u-post/1712940/p-1444424044472.htm

I started using the metal electric fence posts last fall, they are like $1.20 each of you buy a bundle. They are made from 1/4” rebar or smooth stock, I just run them through a square low and a square higher up and the cage stays put fine.
On a remesh cage I just use one.

I've not used stakes over the years for concrete reinforcing wire cages. Rather, I have cut the wire in about 17' sections formed a cylinder and wired the ends together. Then I cut off the bottom wire leaving the vertical wires protruding. Then I merely step those protruding wires into the ground and the cages stay in place and support themselves very well.

I usually look on Craigslist for used t posts, or just ask some farmers if they have some laying around that you can buy. I get them for $1.50-$2 each.

Yep i bought from a farmer my first go/round but my sources are not harboring anymore. :)

2nd the craigslist buy. They'll still be worth 2.00 if you decide to pull them and sell. Two dollars is the most I have spent for a couple hundred tposts over the past 8 years. Most were bought bought for 1 - 150

I use wood and so what if they rot can just use another I have a bunch of hemlock board and batten wood I cut with saw put in mesh cage about the 5thsquare high and pound it in the ground. Even with that the deer will bend a cage if there are app,es on the other side. I use mine so they don’t blow away on younger trees

Aero - ^^^^^ I've had some cages blow off young trees in high winds too. How in the H does wind catch on cages with 6" squares ?? Seems like it ought to just blow through holes that big.

I use 1/2" re-bar or 1/2" EMT conduit for stakes. Cheap.

I've not used stakes over the years for concrete reinforcing wire cages. Rather, I have cut the wire in about 17' sections formed a cylinder and wired the ends together. Then I cut off the bottom wire leaving the vertical wires protruding. Then I merely step those protruding wires into the ground and the cages stay in place and support themselves very well.

Haven't run into you in awhile, good seeing you around here even though you may not claim us lower peninsula folk. :)