Persimmon Varieties for Deer -Transfered from QDMA forum

I just thought I would update this thread. My plans for persimmon varieties is solidifying. Here is my list:
Commercial Varieties:
Wonderful
100-46
Szukis
U20a (Celebrity)
Nikita's Gift
Morris Burton #3
Geneva Long
H-120
100-45
Lena
Prok
100-27S
Native trees:
Local: Chubs_Doc (Had persimmons still hanging in early Dec this year 7A)
Local: Charlie's Persimmon (Dropped in Oct in 7A)
Mississippi: Nov Drop in 8a
Mississippi: Dec Drop in 8a
Mississippi: Jan Drop in 8a
Oklahoma: Nov Drop in 6b
Oklahoma: Dec Drop in 6b
One note for those trying to decide what to do themselves: The Morris Burton #3 and Geneva Long were not varieties I chose for wildlife. They were "thrown in" as part of a scion swap with a guy. I do plan to try them.
Thanks,
Jack
This thread is quite old, but I was curious if you have an update on any of these varieties, Jack? I have a couple of them in pre-fruit. I was thinking of adding a couple others. You noted earlier about having Nikita's Gift as well. How has your Nikita's Gift turned out?

This thread is quite old, but I was curious if you have an update on any of these varieties, Jack? I have a couple of them in pre-fruit. I was thinking of adding a couple others. You noted earlier about having Nikita's Gift as well. How has your Nikita's Gift turned out?

That thread is very old. It's unlikely you will get a response from him. I don't think he's here anymore.

That thread is very old. It's unlikely you will get a response from him. I don't think he's here anymore.
I didn't realize he hadn't posted in a while. Sorry about that.

No problem. Just didn't want you sitting around waiting for a reply.

He hasn't been on here since Feb 13, 2023.

I got my first crop of Prok this year. They were huge in size and dropped in October. Another October dropper is Miller, and Deer Magnet drops here in November. I think the Oklahoma trees he mentioned were from a guy who used to post on the other forum. I got some of those too. They do okay but are no better than the natives that grow on my place.

I have 100-46 grafted onto five trees, all of them produced this year. They started to drop at the end of september and continued through most of october. Size is decent and taste is excellent, down to my last bag in the freezer.20231124_070846.jpg

I need to start a persimmon project this coming summer. Anyone know the best place to get rootstock? Is Missouri Conservation District the way to go? Will they deriverte to Ohio?

I need to start a persimmon project this coming summer. Anyone know the best place to get rootstock? Is Missouri Conservation District the way to go? Will they deriverte to Ohio?
MDC does ship out of state, I checked their website, persimmons are sold out. You might try Kansas forestry, I have not purchased from them.

You might ask them if their persimmons are 90 or 60 chromosome. You would want 90 in Ohio.

I've purchased persimmon from Kansas Forestry. I was very satisfied with what I got for what I paid.

You might ask them if their persimmons are 90 or 60 chromosome. You would want 90 in Ohio.

They're mostly for Ontario. But some in Ohio too. Are 90 chromosome rootstock not compatible with 60 chromosome scions?

I've purchased persimmon from Kansas Forestry. I was very satisfied with what I got for what I paid.

You were able to graft them ok?

Do they ship to Ohio?

You were able to graft them ok?

Do they ship to Ohio?
I have not tried to graft yet. That is the exact reason I bought them though... to eventually graft to. Been to chicken to try yet. :(

They're mostly for Ontario. But some in Ohio too. Are 90 chromosome rootstock not compatible with 60 chromosome scions?

The are compatible, but all persimmons in the northern most section of their range are 90 C, which would be the most cold hardy. Where I live we have the 60 C variety, and I have grafted 90 C to 60 C with no problems. However, for the most cold hardy strain, I felt that you should plant 90 C in Ohio - especially northern Ohio.

PS - Nearly all of the well known, named variety of persimmons are 90 C. There are a few exceptions but not many.

The are compatible, but all persimmons in the northern most section of their range are 90 C, which would be the most cold hardy. Where I live we have the 60 C variety, and I have grafted 90 C to 60 C with no problems. However, for the most cold hardy strain, I felt that you should plant 90 C in Ohio - especially northern Ohio.

PS - Nearly all of the well known, named variety of persimmons are 90 C. There are a few exceptions but not many.

Gotcha. Thanks. I will make sure I get 90 C rootstock.

Here are a couple of good resources on persimmons and the 90 C discussion. And the map in the second link shows that MDC persimmons should be 90 C if they are the natives from Missouri.

I got 100 seedlings from the Iowa DNR (also order different species from KY and KS DNR) planted in 2019 and another 25 from Coldstream a year or two ago. I've grafted Prok, Deer Magnet, 100-46 (Lehman's Delight), Barbara's Blush, NB-02 (Zima Khurma), a native variety, a variety named Big DV that I know little about, John Rick, and a couple failures in Morris Burton and Meader. For personal consumption, I grafted JT-02 (Mikkusu), 100-46 and plan to do a couple other hybrids like Kassandra and some others. I would not recommend hybrids for deer since most don't drop (NB-02 I hear does though). I'm hoping a couple will fruit next year.

I had about 90% success or better grafting apples and pears. I had equal success with bark grafting large mulberry trees but a few of the grafts snapped from inadequate support. My success with persimmon is 50%. I realized I was probably grafting too early (early May in northern KY) afterI spoke with Cliff England at his orchard this Fall. He grafts late May or early June. I'll be holding off a little longer in the future.

I planted some from MDC in 2016 and wasn't too thrilled, as the root structure was pretty sad. Most didn't make it and the biggest is only about 5 ft. Maybe it's the soil, but a couple Keiffer pears planted at the same time are 20 ft or better. Trying some seedlings and some grafted varieties from Blue Hill next spring.

I realized I was probably grafting too early (early May in northern KY) afterI spoke with Cliff England at his orchard this Fall. He grafts late May or early June. I'll be holding off a little longer in the future.
Working with Cliff now on some scion to graft this spring. He has been very helpful and has a good selection to choose from. He will be cutting my order late January. Also working with b116757 to get some scion from his late dropping trees.