Orchard Ladders

Lot2Learn

5 year old buck +
Last week I sprayed my apples and did a touch of pruning to ensure my central leaders weren't getting any competition.

Two of my 3rd-leaf trees are over 10' tall so getting to the very top with a 6' step ladder is getting to be an uncomfortable stretch.

Orchard ladders seem terribly expensive, so I thought I'd ask some questions before taking the plunge.

Questions:
(a) what size orchard ladder should I get for mm.111 and b.118 trees?
(b) What brand/source would you recommend?
(c) Any features (e.g., metal vs. wood vs. fiberglass) do you think are important?

Thanks in advance, Lot2Learn

How about a pole saw instead?

The best orchard ladder I found is the front end loader on my Case IH JX 75. It works great for pruning and picking and I use the tractor to spray. It's also good for hauling 30 ft maples and oaks out of the woods :). Oh yea I also used it to put up my 4 leg deer stand with little hut. Downside is that it's more than 200 bucks lol

L2L,

I have a 14' aluminum tripod ladder similar to this
http://www.groworganic.com/strathmore-aluminum-orchard-ladder-14.html

It's light, sturdy and easy to move . The tripod all lows it to be setup on different terrain and not be tipsy. The one thing I don't like about it is the single leg swings open sometimes when I carry it. I should tie it but, i usually forget. I paid over $200 for it but , got it locally. The freight would be tough.

I was at an antique show in Mass. Last week and saw a 14' pointed wooden ladder for $75. I didn't have any rope to get it home or I would have taken it. To buy new they're over $190. The point will fit a crotch in a tree to allow you into the canopy.

Take a look at this companies ladders. They are about an hour from me. I might head there to get one some day.
http://www.oescoinc.com/orchard-nursery/ladders.html

Another use for my apple ladder is a great help putting up ladder stands. Make it a lot safer.

I get most of my supplies from Oesco NH. They are pretty good, and not to far for me either, maybe 1.5 hours. I go down one day every winter just to get away for a day.

I've got an 8' tripod, wish it was 10'. I'll get one. one of these days. I think the aluminum tripods are the way to go, lot2. Very stable, you can get it in the canopy easily, and easy to carry around.

TC, as much as I like the idea of keeping my feet on mother earth, (a) I don't think I could be as precise as I want to be with pruning with a pole saw, and (b) that would seem to be especially true with the extensions I'll eventually need to get to the tops of my larger trees.

Others, how tall a ladder should I get for mm.111 and b.118 trees? I'm surprised to hear Maya's comment about a 10' ladder...I was thinking I'd need ~14', but maybe that's overkill?

Maya,

Is the Oesco building open to walk around and buy things? It would be nice to see things before buying them.

Yes, they have a small packed show room. Let me know what you are interestested in, iv'e gotten tons of different things. Some I like, some, not so much! Call them, there is a big weekend they have down there in the fall. I forget the name, but the whole area has a big harvest fest of sorts. Every orchard in the area has some apple tasting, cider tastings and so forth. It might be a good time to go down. I think Oesco has some end of season sales too

TC, as much as I like the idea of keeping my feet on mother earth, (a) I don't think I could be as precise as I want to be with pruning with a pole saw, and (b) that would seem to be especially true with the extensions I'll eventually need to get to the tops of my larger trees.

Others, how tall a ladder should I get for mm.111 and b.118 trees? I'm surprised to hear Maya's comment about a 10' ladder...I was thinking I'd need ~14', but maybe that's overkill?
Lot2, one of the BEST things I have in my arsenal is this........ http://www.oescoinc.com/hand-tools/long-arm-pruners/ars-la180l-series-powerful-longreach-pruner.html

He Maya,

Many of us have learned a lot from you in recent years. Since it seems as though all the fruit folks
or "fruit nuts" as the case might be are on this site now, would you be so kind as let us know what else is in your arsenal that you could be without? I have a pole pruner that is similar to yours. It is 14 or 16 feet long, but not real sturdy. I could not do without it. Will post pic in a few.

Here it is - sorry just realized I hi-jacked this thread a little.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 6
Here it is - sorry just realized I hi-jacked this thread a little.

No worries; I'm looking forward to Maya's answer as much as you are!

He Maya,

Many of us have learned a lot from you in recent years. Since it seems as though all the fruit folks
or "fruit nuts" as the case might be are on this site now, would you be so kind as let us know what else is in your arsenal that you could be without? I have a pole pruner that is similar to yours. It is 14 or 16 feet long, but not real sturdy. I could not do without it. Will post pic in a few.

Thanks WT, but really, that one pruner is my favorite tool even over any Silky saw. The reason is that if I am using my ARS pruner I know my trees are trained and pruned well. If I am using a saw, that tells me the tree I am working on needs more work! I can't write it well enough to explain how well that thing works and how well it holds and edge. I did a pruning demo this winter, and I bet I sold a few of them for Oesco, everyone was amazed how simple and well they work on small branches.

The same could be said for a small set of loppers. If I am using them I'm only working on small manageable branches, and I know the tree is well trained and pruned. I like my Bacho Pro's for loppers. They really hold an edge and are light and easy to use for hours. http://www.peachridge.com/pruning/loppers/index.htm

On training, which is more important than pruning imo, for bigger trees I really like this twine...... http://www.peachridge.com/treetraining/training.htm

I'm pretty sure they do, but call.

DSCN1244.JPG For the Aluminum ones? Yup you blew it. I was able to get an 8' for $100 used, but perfect condition.

Maya great info. What size is your long reach pruner?

Maya - What's the best, safest way to secure twine for tying down limbs ?? At the limb end and the lower end. Re-bar stakes O.K. ?? I don't want to tie to the cages in case bears push cages and break limbs.

I'm not sure that a 14 foot ladder is the way to go. I have two Stokes Orchard Ladders, a 12 foot and an 8 footer, Even though both ladders are relatively light, I find that i use the 8 foot ladder far more often. It is a lot less bulky, easier to position and is good for 90% of my trimming needs. I think it cost about $60. to have them shilled to my door.

If you plant on B118 an Antonovka, perhaps a hover craft would be a better choice than a Ladder? LOL....