All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liberty Apple Tree / Bow

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I planted a couple Apple trees out of my order in My Fathers front yard . He normally plant's potted trees from Lowes, I have to admit all the potted trees he picked out have nice straight trunks and have grown well.. He's complaining about how this Liberty apple tree "bows out" . I see what he means, I guess at the graft the tree shoots out to the right and does "bow out". Will this tree ever correct itself ? or will there always be a curve and potential week spot ?

Attachments

• 100_1953.JPG
    100_1953.JPG
    638.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_1955.JPG
    100_1955.JPG
    626.5 KB · Views: 48
That is caused by a using a bud graft on the side of the rootstock instead of whip & tongue graft.
As the tree matures it will be less noticeable. Keep the tree balanced by pruning.,

You can straighten it when the bark slips. Drive a thin rigid post next to it and tie it on there. If needs be, tie the whole thing to a piece of bamboo or something similar. Don't tie it too tight, and be sure to remove everything in the fall.

I planted a tree that looked like a Y in 2012. It turned out fine. I just ended up pruning one side after a year or two. Like mentioned above, prune to balance and it'll be just fine.