All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is This Fireblight on Apple Tree?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_1226.jpeg

12 yr old Granny Smith. Is this fireblight?

Looking like it could be. If those curled over branches turn black you'll know for sure.

Yes it is. However, if it doesn't get any worse you need not worry.

PS - Granny Smith is VS to fireblight.

The weather in the South this spring has been perfect for fireblight. I've seen a tiny bit on one 15 year old tree that has never shown it before. A couple of other trees that are MS to FB are also showing some. The bad thing is that it can get worse (depending on the weather) even well into the summer.

Don't want to hijack your thread, but you might want to hear this story:

One of my relatives has a Milam Apple tree in his yard that got the worst case of FB I have ever witnessed about 6 years ago. The tree was about 12 years old and just beginning to fruit. I watched that tree get literally eaten up with FB and would have sworn it would die. It looked to me like it went at least into 6 or 7 year old wood. He just let the tree stand, and the next year it looked horrible - covered with big dead limbs. However, the tree started growing limbs back and within 3 years you couldn't tell anything had ever been wrong. Since that time the tree has fruited quite well and has never had another FB strike. I just looked at it a few days ago, and it has a really nice crop this year.

I have learned that FB seldom completely kills a big mature tree that was healthy to begin with. Young trees, however, can easily be killed by a severe strike. Since FB almost always enters through the flower, this is another good reason to pinch the blooms off of young trees IMHO.