Hinge cut oops

John-W-WI

Administrator
Not my picture, but thought it was worth sharing.
be4a0258661753103d194e5eec26e385.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Shouldn’t take a pedal tractor in the woods. Looks like they were cutting a foot off the ground. Not an ideal place to hinge. Another reason I always take wedges and a habitat hook with me.

Looks like they were trying to shove it over with the bucket and in doing so made a hinge point.

Looks like a possible hard top leaner, with a guy who doesn’t know how to cut them. Tension on the back side of the lean will barber chair that tree every time unless you plunge cut the center first and then carefully release the back side.

I'm guessing he was trying to fell it and was pushing on the tree with the loader when it barber chaired and hooked the tractor.

Looks like a possible hard top leaner, with a guy who doesn’t know how to cut them. Tension on the back side of the lean will barber chair that tree every time unless you plunge cut the center first and then carefully release the back side.

What does "hard top" mean?

I'm guessing he was trying to fell it and was pushing on the tree with the loader when it barber chaired and hooked the tractor.
This. I had a buddy trying to do something similar 2 years ago. It fell off the stump as he was cutting and landed on his foot. Fractured it in multiple places. He said it was standing vertical on his foot for 15 to 20 seconds. In his defense he was a walking accident.

Looks like Darwinism at work to me

Got you a new swing kids!

I have used skid loaders to push top leaners of the opposite direction several times, and I have been a little scared about this happening. I usually cut a nice wedge on the back side then take my blade and dig into the core a little to weaken it, then go back on the front side and make my cut, and pound a wedge into the front side, then saw the rest that is needed slowly. I havent mastered the comfortable feeling of plunging a running saw tip into a hardwood yet.

Saw that on FB over the weekend... I laughed...because it wasn't my tractor! I will say this....I ain't gonna be the one getting real close to that mess! I'll watch...but from WAY over here!

Wonder where the rest of the trunk is. It’s what? 8 feet to the top of the barber chair. But there is only about 4 foot of trunk holding the bucket.

Wonder if they started trying to release the tractor and backed off..

I have been doing a lot more girdling this year than hinge cutting. I still knock a few trees over but nothing like when I started.

How do you get the some beach down without further f***ing everything up?

bill

LOL. Assuming the FEL has down pressure, you lower the bucket which should pivot the tractor out to the right and maybe the increased weight beyond the end of the cut would be enough to "teeter totter" the tree back down. High pucker factor though. Better yet, get your buddy to try it.

LOL. Assuming the FEL has down pressure, you lower the bucket which should pivot the tractor out to the right and maybe the increased weight beyond the end of the cut would be enough to "teeter totter" the tree back down. High pucker factor though. Better yet, get your buddy to try it.
All the makings of a “hold my beer” moment.

A couple carefully placed shotgun slugs into the trunk from a safe distance and that tractor will fall down right back onto it's wheels...

All I know is the guy that was sitting on the tractor pushing had to have a pucker moment for sure!

How do you get the some beach down without further f***ing everything up?

bill

I'd say get a telehandler or some sort of bigger loader, a log chain, and pluck that little bugger right off of there.