All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growths on Plum

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
Last year I found some black growths on a few branches of my plum trees. I made sure to cut them all off this year but again this year there are large growths on them. It almost looks like the tree is healing over a wound. Some kind of bug burrowing into it?
growth on plum.jpggrowth on plum 2.jpg

That would be my guess.

Looks like black knot which is a fungus that I see a fair amount on black cherry. It attacks trees in the prunus genus which cherries, plum, and chokecherry are related

Looks like black knot which is a fungus that I see a fair amount on black cherry. It attacks trees in the prunus genus which cherries, plum, and chokecherry are related
Last year they were much darker so I think you could be right. I pruned them all off this spring but I didn't put on any herbicide. I'll try that next.

thanks

I hope you meant fungicide

I hope you meant fungicide
oh ya. I meant fungicide. I guess if I killed the whole tree though I wouldn't have a fungus problem anymore. haha