All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grafting compatibly on Kieffer pear?

Brush farmer

5 year old buck +
I’ve got several Kieffer pears that have been in the ground for a couple years. I’m thinking about grafting a couple over to Seckle / Comice to add some variety. I grafted a pair of Bartlett last year to Magness with good success.
I know Kieffer has a reputation for being highly variable since many of them are from questionable stock or grown from seed. My trees were potted trees from a large box store so mine are typical.
I’ve did some web searches on the subject and concensus seems to be all over the place but few first hand experience.
Has anyone had experience grafting the generic Kieffers to European or Asian varieties?

Two years ago I topworked a wild Callery to a Kieffer, and it has grown really well. It could possibly have fruit this year. Will check sometime soon when working at the farm.