All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graft success thanks everyone

DLH

5 year old buck +
First year grafting apple trees and want to thank everyone that has given me scion wood almost too many to name but aerospace maya lot 2 learn native hunter crazy ed and grey phase all gave scion wood to get started at no cost would have coat hundreds to buy this many scions thanks everyone and sorry if I left anyone out.

Here's a update I sent to Native hunter earlier today:

Little up date surveyed my grafts yesterday

Black Limbertwig 3-4
Florina 4
Tolman sweet 5
Terry winter 5
Priscilla 1
Black oxford 3
Wolf river 3
Galarina 2
Enterprise 3
Freedom 2
Caney fork limber twig 3
Ark black 2
Bevans favorite 5
Intial 3
Brushy my limber twig 4
Conover a gift 2
Conover crunch 3
Beatsy deaton 2
Liberty 3
Milam 4
Yates 2

You and your father in law get first pick of how ever many you want. I have about 66 that took which puts me at 66% which is great and far better than zero I guess. I'm thrilled that I had that many successful grafts but at the same time I realize it's a low percentage. Some of which is me being new to grafting and I was rushed and did 80% of them in one day which wasn't bad but I was getting some dirty looks from the wife. I don't know if I will get all of them in the ground but I had fun doing it if nothing else and could sell them at cost.

Again thanks everyone this is a great place.

Daniel

Did you put the finished product into root makers or similar containers? That's a LOT of grafts! I did 25 last year and that's child's play compared to what you did!

Daniel, I think you have done outstanding. I really look forward to seeing those trees.

You did all the work, Daniel. Congrats on a job well done.

Well done! Keep us posted, I always love seeing pics of this stuff!

Well done! Keep us posted, I always love seeing pics of this stuff!

I think a 66% take rate is terrific for your first go at it, and agree with CrazyEd that we need pictures!

Expectations on grafting success.

I don't want to be a debbie downer but in my experience, it can take weeks or months before you really know your success, or if a graft was successful. Just because you have movement doesn't mean it's done and you have a tree. In 2013 I had one tree, it was shot up 3-4 of nice green growth but never went anywhere from there. It was grafted in April and it finally kicked over and died in August. But that said you are on the right track and it's great to see more and more people taking the grafting plunge. It's not so bad is it? Did you order your rootstock for 2016 yet? :)

Order rootstock for 2016 yet ?? Are you trying to turn him into CRAZY DLH ?? ................ Crazy Ed ?? :p:D

Order rootstock for 2016 yet ?? Are you trying to turn him into CRAZY DLH ?? ................ Crazy Ed ?? :p:D

LOL, that was funny! And, Crazy is good in habitat!

Daniel,

You only got scions from my yard this time - but I have several more varieties at the farm, and next grafting round we can get those scions. Some of them are fruiting for the first time this year and so far looking very good. The Old Fashioned Winesap (a full sized tree in the ground 8 years) appears to have dozens of apples this year, and others do too.

Also, if you want to practice on cleft grafting into a larger tree, you can learn on some of mine. If these die, its no problem.:) I have 4 or 5 crabapples at the farm that produce the tiny little apples that are of no value. Whatever you want to try converting them to is fine with me. Whenever you get ready to do it, we will go over and whack them off and you can have at it.

And, the same goes for persimmons. I have dozens with about 1 inch diameter trunks, and if you want to practice on a few of them, we can get scion wood from some known good trees.

The Native Hunter playground is ready for action...:D And, if you need to sharpen your sweet gum whacking skills, I have a playground for that too...LOL.

I will try to get some pics when I get a chance I have them at my dads right now usually there on weekends. The good things about failures is I can always use them next year.

I will gladly do that Steve sounds like a plancleft grafting those apples and persimmons I have my eye on a persimmon on the Cumberland parkway, 551 between Knifley and Columbia and my grandpas farm they hold up into nov/ dec. we have a couple of persimmons that need to be grafted over just haven't found the time with the new addition to the family.

We could always make those crabs Priscilla's I hear they are an OK apple. :)

I will try to get some pics when I get a chance I have them at my dads right now usually there on weekends. The good things about failures is I can always use them next year.

I will gladly do that Steve sounds like a plancleft grafting those apples and persimmons I have my eye on a persimmon on the Cumberland parkway, 551 between Knifley and Columbia and my grandpas farm they hold up into nov/ dec. we have a couple of persimmons that need to be grafted over just haven't found the time with the new addition to the family.

We could always make those crabs Priscilla's I hear they are an OK apple. :)

OH YES - Priscilla - the love of my heart!!:D

Daniel

66% is awesome for first try. Remember rootstock and scion wood also factor into the equation. You may have been doomed from the start on some grafts. I know I got some scion wood that was suspect and I did about 75% this year which is my second year and I grafted all my failures from last year and they all made it this year. I lost 3 roots of my original buy last year so sometimes the rootstock is the issue. Keep on grafting Dan

Paul

It's kinda sad I'm already planning for next year already emailing making arrangements for some rare scion wood. I don't know what all I will do next year since I did so many different varities this year. Which of these varities do you think are the best tasting? From what I found online I would say:

Black Limbertwig
Tolman sweet
Priscilla
Black oxford
Caney fork limber twig
Ark black
Bevans favorite
Beatsy deaton
Milam
Yates

The conovers are suppose to be good but Steve wasn't sure what varities they are for sure (so he named them after himself after a little persuasion) I didn't include them because don't want anyone searching all over to find out wht they are.

Daniel,

Keep in mind that I've not tasted a Caney Fork yet - this is the first year mine has fruited. But, Ron at Big Horse told me it was hard to top for fresh eating.

All those you listed are known to be great apples, so it may come down to individual preference - kind of like which is better tasting walleye or crappie....

Early apples are generally not as good as late apples. I can say that Bevan's Favorite is the best tasting early apple I've ever tried.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind just trying to decidie what to put behind my house I think I'll put the above and see how it goes. Worse comes to worse I doubt my son will be too picky

Has this turned into an apple snob thread? :)

I don't think so?????? Why do you ask

Ha, I'm only saying because I haven't heard of these varieties you guys are discussing and perhaps you lift your pinky when you drink your tea. :)