Fruit Tree Spray Frequency

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
Most fruit tree spray directions call for spraying every ten to fourteen days and sooner if it rains. This time of year, it might rain every three of four days. Is is ok to spray that much and is it necessary. I have peaches, apples, plums, and pears and something usually infects all of them but the pears. I intend to be more religious with my spraying schedule this year - but not really sure about spraying after every rain all through spring.

What type of spray?

What is rain?

I want to spray mine some this year, I am not looking for perfect apple to sell, just better looking apples for me. I dont think the deer, raccoon, bear, and squirrels care much, since they get 90%of them. This last last winter, I had a lot of apples still hanging into late winter, and in fact I still have some hanging, I would shake the trees to get some of the apples off, and the apples would still be on the ground 2 weeks later. I am sure the lack of deer, and the over abundance of acorns this last fall had a lot to do with that. Last late summer I bought spray, but never used it, I will this year.

What is rain?

I want to spray mine some this year, I am not looking for perfect apple to sell, just better looking apples for me. I dont think the deer, raccoon, bear, and squirrels care much, since they get 90%of them. This last last winter, I had a lot of apples still hanging into late winter, and in fact I still have some hanging, I would shake the trees to get some of the apples off, and the apples would still be on the ground 2 weeks later. I am sure the lack of deer, and the over abundance of acorns this last fall had a lot to do with that. Last late summer I bought spray, but never used it, I will this year.
Coons get a lot of mine. I have a high deer density, but so far, in two years - they have not decided to eat any apples. I have had some years I have lost all the apples on the two producing trees I have due to what I think is brown spot. I have two plums that make fruit, two peaches, and a nectarine - and have never got a mature fruit off any of them. I have more apples and peaches coming on and would like to get a fruit off something since I have worked so hard and spent so much time and money with the trees. I dont care if my deer ever get a fruit. There is a two acre food plot at my orchard that will be visited by up to ten or a dozen deer almost every day regardless of an apple ever hitting the ground.

It just rained an inch last night. The two week forecast shows rain on five of the 14 days.

Typically the label calls for re-application of most products with 1" of precipitation or the time interval between applications as stated on the product label. Bonide is "weak sauce" so might need more frequent applications. Some items can be applied with a "sticker" as well to increase life of the product.

Typically the label calls for re-application of most products with 1" of precipitation or the time interval between applications as stated on the product label. Bonide is "weak sauce" so might need more frequent applications. Some items can be applied with a "sticker" as well to increase life of the product.
What would you suggest for an all in one spray application on fruit trees

As a deep south guy, sure feel your pain SwampCat. That shared I've never sprayed mine / not willing to babysit the many things I've planted.

I've got two peach trees I keep alive that flower well, form fruits, but in the end I get about 1 or 2 peaches off them a year. I haven't ripped them out of the ground because they refuse to die, but to me they're the most persnickety/needy thing I've planted. Seems like they just really love the North GA/SC area, and outside that they're a pain in the butt.

Versus focusing on the negative, I'll focus on the positives. I love my 8 keiffer pears even if the trees don't have an especially beautiful form. Long as I don't get a really hard frost after they flower, I get hundreds of pounds from my trees and again that's with zero spraying.

Next favorite fruit (for me/not deer, though I give them excess that I can't consume) is fuyu persimmons. I've got 4 of them and they all are heavy producers without a bit of spraying. They're my wife's favorite fruit so I have them planted close to my house / protected somewhat from critters by a fence that runs around our house.

As for apples, I went with dolgo crabapples and they all are now producing relatively well, though I've admittedly lost a few to disease over the years. Never sprayed one of them.

As a deep south guy, sure feel your pain SwampCat. That shared I've never sprayed mine / not willing to babysit the many things I've planted.

I've got two peach trees I keep alive that flower well, form fruits, but in the end I get about 1 or 2 peaches off them a year. I haven't ripped them out of the ground because they refuse to die, but to me they're the most persnickety/needy thing I've planted. Seems like they just really love the North GA/SC area, and outside that they're a pain in the butt.

Versus focusing on the negative, I'll focus on the positives. I love my 8 keiffer pears even if the trees don't have an especially beautiful form. Long as I don't get a really hard frost after they flower, I get hundreds of pounds from my trees and again that's with zero spraying.

Next favorite fruit (for me/not deer, though I give them excess that I can't consume) is fuyu persimmons. I've got 4 of them and they all are heavy producers without a bit of spraying. They're my wife's favorite fruit so I have them planted close to my house / protected somewhat from critters by a fence that runs around our house.

As for apples, I went with dolgo crabapples and they all are now producing relatively well, though I've admittedly lost a few to disease over the years. Never sprayed one of them.
My kiefer pears will make without spraying. Problem is, they are early bloomers and typically get frosted. I am not really a fan of eating a lot of fresh pears. I have a couple of the fuyu persimmons. They got killed back pretty good last year from a late freeze. They are my only fruit tree that has not budded yet. Maybe they are learning - I have high hopes for them.

I also have a couple dolgos that have put on some apples and the coons sure do like them. My figs get froze back to the ground every other year. So far, I have only been successful with muscadines - and blackberries are really looking promising

My kiefer pears will make without spraying. Problem is, they are early bloomers and typically get frosted. I am not really a fan of eating a lot of fresh pears. I have a couple of the fuyu persimmons. They got killed back pretty good last year from a late freeze. They are my only fruit tree that has not budded yet. Maybe they are learning - I have high hopes for them.

Very few things I hate more than a late frost. Crossing fingers we avoid one this year, as EVERYTHING I've got is pretty much leafed out and/or in bloom right now.

Whereas I don't spray, I do have to admit to using multiple burn barrels during our coldest snaps to protect citrus, loquats, and other things most prone to getting heavily damaged by hard freezes. Don't get much sleep during those nights due to tending fires from sunset to sunrise.

What do you think you need to spray for? Haven't had any bad catepillar attacks yet. I sprayed bonide twice last year for japanese beetles and aphids. Would of liked to do 3 maybe 4.

Likely spray neem oil this weekend. So that might be spray #3.

Avoiding cedar apple rust prone trees, or buying any more of them. The bonide stuff does seem somewhat weak for insects, but it does have anti-fungals. Still get scab on a few trees here.

I am using tnaglefoot around the trunks to prevents ants and catepillars from climbing up the trees.

What would you suggest for an all in one spray application on fruit trees
I wouldn't have a great suggestion. We do not use an all in one. I would first take a look at what exactly you are trying to control with your sprays. I am not one who is big on spraying and in our climate and with the varieties we offer through the nursery we try to minimize the need for spraying.

I implore you, or anyone else, who battles apple scab to purchase a 1 gallon jug of Rebound Cobalt from Advancing Eco Agriculture. I put 2 oz. In a 2 gallon sprayer, to cover 150 trees, after petal drop and again 6 weeks later. No signs of scab and didn't kill any good fungus. One $40 jug lasts me about 3 years.

They have a full spray schedule for fruit trees, but I think it runs about $1,500 per acre.

That's all I need for diseases, don't know what else you deal with. Sevin would probably be all you need for insects, but will kill the good ones too. When you do spray the insecticide, spray the ground under your trees as well, as that's where some of them come from.

Like us, fruit trees are most susceptible to insect and diseases when they're unhealthy, and can't fight them off. So I would also work on applying some good compost around the drip line of your trees as early in the season as you can.

Any suggestions for insectiide better than bonide? Considering buying a backpack sprayer. Would like to hear opinions on that too. I currently have a hand sprayer with a 4ft wand extension.

Any way I go, I am looking to buy a good respirator and cartridges. Any suggestions there would be great too.

Update, just order it. Was 17% more off today. $350 for a sprayer blower, couldn't say no. Picked up their 1235 pruners too, looks like a photocopy of the felco 8's.

Last edited:
Debating between imidan nd actara. I may spray for scab someday, other than early season neem oil. Japanese beetles and aphids are my most common issues. I do see coddling moths around as well as brown stink bugs.

Already got the aphid and ant tag team on my trees. No flowers on any of my trees yet, other than a saturn peach. Haven't seen bees on them yet.

Debating between imidan nd actara. I may spray for scab someday, other than early season neem oil. Japanese beetles and aphids are my most common issues. I do see coddling moths around as well as brown stink bugs.

Already got the aphid and ant tag team on my trees. No flowers on any of my trees yet, other than a saturn peach. Haven't seen bees on them yet.
My peach trees are very prone to brown spot - or rot. It is wet and humid here. Guaranteed not to raise a single peach without a regular spray cycle.

I think I am going to rotate insecticides. Ordered imidan in a gallon container, 2lb powder eqiivalent. Will likely buy powder and refill gallong jug when empty.

Sevin SL I can only find in 2.5 gallon 43% containers. With 40 B118/m111 sized trees, not sure how long it'll take to use that much up.

I spray Imidan for an insecticide and Captan for a fungicide. I try to do every 2 weeks after petal drop but sometimes I can’t make it to my property in a timely fashion. With my trees getting bigger it’s also getting more expensive and time consuming so I’m probably going to dial it back. It does work tho. My apple and pear trees at home where I can keep up with the spraying produce fruit that look like they are from the grocery store.