All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish structures

One of the things you should consider is putting structure in you shallow areas 1'-2' for bait fish like minnows to lay their eggs on. They prefer the underside of flat surfaces in grasses or weedy areas to protect the spawn.

Wood pallets are a good choice.

Last edited:
We don’t normally fool with pond structure in our farm ponds do to the cattle but the one I cleaned out last fall will likely not see cattle again at least for the foreseeable future so I’m thinking of adding structure. I think I’m going to build a fathead minnow breeding area out of drain pipe or pvc pipe something similar to this photo. I also have old retired barbed wire and woven wire rolls I could toss in the pond for some structure until the aquatic weeds get established. I’ve also thought of strapping some plastic pallets together and sinking the stack. I also have an old 8’ directional boring pipe real I could use. Anyone else have any cheap effective idea’s?

You could sink a couple red, blue or orange tractors. Ain't none of them worth a damn....

For bluegill spawning, circles of pea gravel around 2'-3' diameter in size in 1'-2' of water are good. You can take plastic garbage top lids, Drill holes so they sink, then fill with pea gravel.

Anyone have ideas for spawning structures specific to Golden Shiners? I have GS in the pond but would love to encourage more of them. And no, I'm sinking a John Deere...

Anyone have ideas for spawning structures specific to Golden Shiners? I have GS in the pond but would love to encourage more of them. And no, I'm sinking a John Deere...
Rip rap maybe? I know herring and shad will spawn on the rocks on big reservoirs

They actually prefer weedy & grassy areas as they drop their eggs over them and the eggs adhere to the plants.

Golden Shiner Production