All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire and conifers

Jaxon Holler

Yearling... With promise
New to prescribed fire and just getting some things figured out. I have several areas of native grass and pollinator plantings established and a few more I planted this spring. I would like to manage these areas going forward with fire. Is there any way I can scatter white cedar and white spruce into these areas without killing then with fire? My plan so far is to keep them separate and not run fire where I plant my conifers

New to prescribed fire and just getting some things figured out. I have several areas of native grass and pollinator plantings established and a few more I planted this spring. I would like to manage these areas going forward with fire. Is there any way I can scatter white cedar and white spruce into these areas without killing then with fire? My plan so far is to keep them separate and not run fire where I plant my conifers

I have no experience with white spruce, but around here we burn to control conifers in general. I think it would be tough if not impossible to do what you are suggesting there.
9332a69ca4e7b9dd5270630539dab223.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reasonable way would be to mow/disc/till fire breaks around the trees before running fire through. I think that's possible depending on scale and if you only manage with fire every few years, I'd say it's probable.