Encouraging Article on CWD in Missouri

Bunch of years ago I recall some guy on the webs saying he was patient zero for human cwd. IIRC he consumed a bunch of antler velvet body building supplement. Wonder what ever happened to him.

Bunch of years ago I recall some guy on the webs saying he was patient zero for human cwd. IIRC he consumed a bunch of antler velvet body building supplement. Wonder what ever happened to him.
He died, if it was indeed cwd.

My question is, what else did these two friends do together that could explain their illnesses? Seems to me that the author never asks this very simple question.

I'd think something else to look at as a whole is:

Are there more people contracting CJD now than say 30-60 years ago?

I'd think something else to look at as a whole is:

Are there more people contracting CJD now than say 30-60 years ago?

Yes, but not by much. It is not well understood, and testing/reporting is imperfect because it's such a rare disease.

Do vegetarians have any risk from prions or prion-like proteins in their food?

"On March 21, 1996, an embarrassed UK Government released a list of the first ten human victims of a new disease. They had been infected by bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), and the new disease was called “variant CJD”. One of those people (who would all die within the next 1–2 years) was Vickie Rimmer, around 20, who had been a vegetarian for most of her short life. So where could she have acquired the infectious prions?

We'll never know, but vegetarians do sometimes eat geletin, made from animal bones. She had also worked in a plant nursery, where she may have been in contact with ground bone meal. This is usually imported from the Middle East or Asia. What had the animals (or humans) died of?

She had worked part time in a pet food shop. Bulk, dried pet food is made from animals that have not been suitable for human consumption. This can include dead or diseased farm and zoo animals, euthanized pets, etc.

And in case anyone is starting to comment that she would not have actually eaten any of these substances, don't forget that we have direct passages between the upper nasal vault and the brain. Dust from infectious prion could have passed through in the same way that Acanthameba passes directly into the brain when children swim in muddy water.

Recent research has also confirmed that prion infectivity can be successful through contact with plants or soil perhaps through contamination with saliva, urine, feces, or other tissues such as placenta from infective sheep cattle, or perhaps deer. This could provide another potential route for vegetarians. Also, kitchen or butcher's cross-contamination from hands, utensils, knives, etc. cannot be ruled out of course, where infected meat had been prepared. And finally, a theoretical route still remains via non-food exposures such as anti-wrinkle creams and endodontial (root canal) procedures, tonsillectomy, or exploratory brain surgery."

They have done research specifically in the colorado area where cwd was first identified.

They have done research specifically in the colorado area where cwd was first identified.
That's a lot to read thru til later today. But does that settle it? No increase in cjd in the largest (oldest) cwd hotspot in the nation?

I could get hit by a screaming tesla tomorrow. This disease is so incredibly rare, I'm taking my chances.
Besides, it's hard to hide from something you can't see....

roll the dice

I could get hit by a screaming tesla tomorrow. This disease is so incredibly rare, I'm taking my chances.

But do you wear your seatbelt when you travel in a car? Do you have insurance on your house? Do you concealed carry?

Why not have your deer tested for CWD? Or are you saying you would eat it regardless of the results?

What is the sensitivity and specificity of this test which you speak?

But do you wear your seatbelt when you travel in a car? Do you have insurance on your house? Do you concealed carry?

Why not have your deer tested for CWD? Or are you saying you would eat it regardless of the results?
Yes I do all that. I also drink alcohol and sometimes don't get enough sleep. Some of our deer are tested. This is an important enough issues that the IDNR runs check stations for the 1st 2 IL gun seasons (in cwd + counties) but I guess not important enough to run check stations during the 3rd, 4th & 5th gun seasons, or archery. Go figure. We still get some our meat processed at lockers who probably blend meat. I'm more worried about the processed meat killing me than the vcjd.

What is the sensitivity and specificity of this test which you speak?

I'm not sure. I hunt in Holmes county in Ohio, where it's not much of an issue. The one time there was a scare, we did drive all our deer in to be tested. Because I'm outside the US now, a lot of the state level websites are blocked for me, so I am unable to check the details.

It would be perhaps awful

Laying there

Dying of nothing

Wisconsin did plenty to try and stop the spread. They handed out antlerless tags like candy at a parade to thin the herd. You could get 4 free antlerless tags every day if you wanted to. They made it to where you could gun hunt till the end of March I believe.
They also implemented earn a buck and between that and the free doe tags, the population crashed. Hunters were so fed up with not seeing any deer, that giant co-ops of landowners formed and agreed not to harvest does. That pissed the DNR off and the hunters basically gave them the middle finger.
That's when the DNR did away with all the free tags and EAB. Now our population has boomed again.

The CWD prevalence rate is 60% in some counties, that’s not a management plan I’d brag about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CWD prevalence rate is 60% in some counties, that’s not a management plan I’d brag about.

60% prevalence with a booming population? There should be carcasses everywhere to back that up. Are there?

Maybe this is nothing, but it's titled "Two Hunters from the Same Lodge".... what exactly does that even mean? All it said in the report is that they're friends. Are they in a Masonic Lodge? Just seems they're trying really hard to make something out of a coincidence.

It’s notable because ~350 people die from CJD annually in America. It’s statistically almost impossible that two people that know each other would contract such a rare disease.

Hopefully it’s a tragic coincidence, there is no proof to the contrary but it’s still good to be informed.

Whether CWD has existed for centuries or it’s another biological weapon made by the monsters at Fort Collins, 60 years of consumption is enough to convince me there is no problem.

I do however believe there is a tsunami of degenerative neurological diseases coming, including CJD. It would be foolish to look back 60 years for the reason. I’d be looking back to the thing from 2021 of which we no longer speak, and 35 years of malnutrition, seed oils, Diet Coke, and antidepressants in white middle class women.

From a health standpoint there are definitely more serious threats to Americans than CWD, that’s a fact.

60% prevalence with a booming population? There should be carcasses everywhere to back that up. Are there?

I don’t know? Are there?

Population decline is concerning but I’m more concerned I couldn’t or shouldn’t feed my growing family every deer we kill. Venison is the only red meat we consume. I’d have a very different perspective on hunting if I had to toss deer in the ditch.

I dont know about WI. But in my home state, if you shoot a deer and it goes unrecovered until the next morning - it is likely to be a skeleton. Within three days, you wont even find a bone. I suspect predators catch and consume most of the really sick cwd deer before they even die. I have read some research in western cwd zones that indicate mountain lions eat a lot of cwd infected game because it is easier to catch