All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corn plot - the way I do it

To be honest the only reason I have a planter is because I got a real good deal on it. Most sell for a pretty penny. I know some folks that broadcast large seeds like corn and soybeans with success. I plot only about 2 acres is row crops like this but again there are more than one way to skin a cat.
What would you say was the minimum size for a corn plot ? I can get in a little over an acre, low deer density

What would you say was the minimum size for a corn plot ? I can get in a little over an acre, low deer density
Your idea of low density and mine could be totally different - so PLEASE keep that in mind. I struggle to have 20 deer in a physical square mile! This year I have 2 corn plots on my place. One is only 1/4 acre in size, the other is roughly 3/4 acre. Now they will be wiped clean of corn come spring time, but I have never had an issue with deer eating the plant itself or destroying it before hunting season. I have 100's of acres of corn and beans around me to spread feeding pressure out AND I have only roughly 20% cover in my 2 square mile area so I have a real low deer population as well. I don't use fences or anything to keep the deer out either. This may not be your situation. I would strongly suggest broadcasting first and try to get some leftover corn seed from a neighboring farmer after is planting season is over. This is what I do as they tend to have some left in the planter boxes that they simply toss out any way. You will get dirty in the process, but its free seed! I just hate to see you invest in a piece of equipment that may or may not be needed or suit your needs. Maybe borrow a row planter if you can, or maybe even pay a farmer to plant your plot if he can get there when he is done with his fields.

Last edited:
Update from 8/6. We have been getting rain weekly and the corn is responding well. The good stuff is well over 6' tall and silking and tasseled. So as long as I have enough time left I should get some actual grain......Not all of it is that great, but I'm feeding deer so it isn't that big of a deal. I was also out today planting my fall plots for that additional insurance......I posted that project in my "land tour"