Chestnut tree leaf issue

Jaxon Holler

Yearling... With promise
I’ve been trying to harden off my chestnut seedlings by putting them out for a few hours during the day. After I brought them in the other day, I noticed some of the leaves got a bit crispy and curled. It was pretty windy and sunny. Curious if they will bounce back. Should I give them more water? Leave them in the house for a few days or continue with the daily outside exposure? IMG_2861.jpegIMG_2860.jpegIMG_2860.jpegIMG_2861.jpeg

I put mine in the shade and then gradually introduced to direct sunlight after five or six days of being in the shade.

I think they will be ok if they still have 2-3 leaves survive, next year they will bounce back. It looks like the bottom leaves will not make it and turn brown and die, but the top ones may survive

The bleached leaves look like sun scald. I grown a few hundred trees from seed each winter and always harden mine off VERY gradually over the course of a 2-3 weeks. I first bring them outside and place them in a protected area that gets no direct sunlight for about 10-14 days. Then, I move them into mostly shade for a week or so. After that, they are good to go and ready to be planted in full sun conditions.