All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Callused scions in storage

DLH

5 year old buck +
I was cleaning some scions out of the fridge today and was surprised to find some still seemed viable from last year. I also had some peat moss I used for chestnut stratification. Once those were all planted I kept some Ayers pear scions in that moist peat. I pulled them today and it looks like they tried to put leaves or maybe roots out? Also I noticed at the bottom of the cut end was a nice white callus ring. Do you think these could be rooted since they have callused up?

Any viable buds remaining? If so they may grow. Going to have to keep them in a warm, humid environment until they establish some roots though. I tried to root some OHxF cuttings a couple of years ago, poor success for me, but you never know.

I was cleaning some scions out of the fridge today and was surprised to find some still seemed viable from last year. I also had some peat moss I used for chestnut stratification. Once those were all planted I kept some Ayers pear scions in that moist peat. I pulled them today and it looks like they tried to put leaves or maybe roots out? Also I noticed at the bottom of the cut end was a nice white callus ring. Do you think these could be rooted since they have callused up?

If callusing on a pear scion is like a grape cutting that means the white cells have differentiated into root cells. As long as there is enough moisture in the stick to grow the roots and first leaf from a bud, it should grow. I'd soak it in water for an hour before planting, dip it in rooting compound, and keep the soil moist.

I wish I had taken a picture now. I will try and explain best I can until I can get a picture. Where the buds were at there were 1 in long white “strings” I thought they might have been roots but they also looked like leaves that are white when grown under no light. I also cut a small section to see if the cambium was still green and it was it looked very good. I check a lot of scions from 2017 grafting and these looked the best from a mold and green cambium stand point. I put one in a pot and placed it in a dark cabinet hoping it would put out roots. I doubt this will work because everything I find on pears is they are hard to root even in stool beds.

Last edited:
I have to experience with rooting pears. Either roots were growing or it was just mold/mycelium. I wouldn't bet on scions a year old though.