All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Walnut Wildlife Value

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Wondering if black walnut is worth it wildlife wise. I have black walnut bordering my neighbors property. The mature stuff is in poor shape, likely hollow in the middle. Poor timber value.

I got 10-12ft tall young walnuts all over my herdrow area. They need some vine clearancing.

Have some young spruce trees nearby. I know walnut makes that chemical that harms other trees. I don't think anyone will realize the timber value of a few walnuts here. I wont be around long enough for it.

IMO.....black walnut offers nothing for deer habitat. Squirrels....yeah....not much else.

I have a lot of squirrels and a few black walnuts. My squirrels dont seem to cut them much

My old home in Southern MN had a couple of black walnut trees.....and the squirrels would pack every cavity with walnuts. Back then we gave a few five gallon pails of them each year to my wife's grandfather. He liked to break them open with a hammer and pull the meat of of 'em. He spent hours doing this in the winters.

All that grows under my mature walnuts are some brambles, I have seen deer bed in there on occasion.

If we could ever get a frost I'll be getting 15 of them and some bur oak harvested this winter. Prices are crazy high right now. This first harvest will be a canopy cleaner for the next 50+ that need 10 more years. The two harvests will likely pay the entirety of my property purchase price.

I remember winke saying you could cut one black walnut and pay for an acre of land in Iowa in the 90’s. What is a tree bringing today, roughly?
I remember him saying that too.

The logger told me earlier this week he did a job for a guy that had 16 walnuts, some of which he said were really nice ones and they fetched about $40,000.

My walnut contract is 70% goes to me and the bur oak is 50/50.

I remember winke saying you could cut one black walnut and pay for an acre of land in Iowa in the 90’s. What is a tree bringing today, roughly?

There’s some good walnut growing in Iowa ! We did a select cut a few years back. Made some $$. We kept some oak and walnut to make a bar in my man cave.

That’s the highlight of my house. At least according to me … 🙂043634DF-F868-4233-A79A-4666DB7B60CB.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember him saying that too.

The logger told me earlier this week he did a job for a guy that had 16 walnuts, some of which he said were really nice ones and they fetched about $40,000.

My walnut contract is 70% goes to me and the bur oak is 50/50.
That’s staggering. I have some on my creek. I’m about to go wrap them in bubble wrap

I’ve heard of walnut theft on public land. Read an article about how they caught a guy that cut one down and it was valued at over $8000?

Regarding walnut values......I can remember folks talking about a huge walnut tree on the Schell's Brewery property along the river valley in MN. It was said that that single tree was in the $100,000 range. Dunno, but it was huge. A logger moved into our area (from MO) in the 80's and started buying walnut logs. He operated a saw mill for other woods......but shipped the large walnut logs to Japan for veneer purposes. He became quite wealthy owned a super home and lots of property in the area.......and many say he scammed allot of farmers who had no idea of their timber value. I don't think those high prices are available these days.....but I really don't know.

There are still some properties around that have crazy numbers of walnuts. A few months ago my wife and I made a full price offer days after a walnut filled property hit the market, but someone else made a higher bid and got it. There were probably only 50-75 trees ready for immediate harvest, but literally thousands of walnut trees that I thought could offer a great retirement income in 20+ years.

We've had a number of random straight line winds and big storms take down a lot of trees in our area the last several years, so the trees you save for future harvests are worth nothing until you cut them and get the check.