All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple presses

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

Well I'm not making cider this year, but I absolutely plan to in the next few years. I'll be topworking more cider varieties this spring, so hopefully in a few years I've got enough to make some cider!

I am looking to buy a cider press, and I'm debating whether or not to go with a used press, or a new one. Both are relatively pricey.

Would you guys take a swing at something like this?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/atq/5232073194.html

No brainer to me...the vintage press wins all day long. That thing is a work of art...made in the USA, sturdy, beautiful craftsmanship, etc. The new option was probably made in China and doesn't have a crusher/grinder.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab that one on CL. If it was close to me, I'd buy it tomorrow.

Good luck!

I would agree we have one similar to the antique for Apples you need a grinder, I don't think you can press apples without it.

I'm looking for a press and grinder. For those that have had them for awhile, what are you happy with and what are you unhappy with?

Any lemons?

Wish I had some info for you. I'm still 2 or 3 years away from making cider. My brother goes to a bunch of auctions...I should have him on the lookout for something cheap that looks in decent shape.