Apple harvest

Don'tWorryIHuggedItFirst

5 year old buck +
Started the harvest early this year with Centennial Crab, Whitney Crab, Zestar!, and some Mount Royal Plumbs. First year for Zestar!. Good flavor. Was pretty happy as I tried some last year that were not good. Might not of been ripe? Can't wait for all the other varieties. Frostbite will be a new one this year.

20170820_164342.jpg

Looks great I would have some to harvest this year too but the worms got to them,any idea on what to spray to keep worms off

I too have harvested a couple of those varieties that you have. I just finished the centennial crabs last week and have started my harvest of zestar from a younger tree. This is my first year with the zestars but I'm amazed at the perfumey/floraly smell that's coming off the apples right now. Is that something you've noticed as well?

I had one zestar ready a week ago and I noticed the smell too. Easy to tell it was ripe. And tasted as great as it smelled.

Good to know. The smell threw me for a loop at first. Not bad by any means but something that I've not heard or read about in any description of the apple. Definetly a good apple but mine are just coming ripe. I walked by the tree and the smell stopped me in my tracks.

I had all of (1) Whitney this year. Ate it yesterday right off the tree. It's kinda weird. Soft and sweet, nice, its good and all, but the seeds were still white but it seemed ripe...weird. Next year aught to be good, there's always next year.
The vermin got most of my Zestar - The two that I've had were great - love them.

Chestnut crab, ate one of 3 hanging. Great but not quite ripe - that was over a week ago - time for a walk out for the other two..hoping they are still there. Thanks for the reminder.

Looks great I would have some to harvest this year too but the worms got to them,any idea on what to spray to keep worms off

We just use Imidan for a insecticide. Three weeks ago, just before I left for vacation Japanese beatles showed up. Hit them with Carbaryl.

I too have harvested a couple of those varieties that you have. I just finished the centennial crabs last week and have started my harvest of zestar from a younger tree. This is my first year with the zestars but I'm amazed at the perfumey/floraly smell that's coming off the apples right now. Is that something you've noticed as well?

Now that you said that I do notice it.

I had all of (1) Whitney this year. Ate it yesterday right off the tree. It's kinda weird. Soft and sweet, nice, its good and all, but the seeds were still white but it seemed ripe...weird. Next year aught to be good, there's always next year.
The vermin got most of my Zestar - The two that I've had were great - love them.

Chestnut crab, ate one of 3 hanging. Great but not quite ripe - that was over a week ago - time for a walk out for the other two..hoping they are still there. Thanks for the reminder.

Our Whitney's were nice and crisp this year. I didn't pick them on time a couple of years ago and they were soft and mealy.

Chestnuts should be ready in a week or two around here.

Ginger Gold apples that were ready this weekIMG_1650.JPG

I really wish I could grow Ginger Gold here... I've heard good things.

I really wish I could grow Ginger Gold here... I've heard good things.
You should e able to grow them. They are early season apple. Try one from Adams county or graft one. Not the best tasting apple but they get better after picked. I like Zestar better