All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple disease I.D.

bornagain62511

5 year old buck +
What are the Apple diseases pictured here and what is the best way to prevent it? Or in the case of the diseased bark what can I do now to treat it?

The apples in the 2nd photo are all "red free" variety some of them are nicely shaped large fruit and the ones that are diseased are small poorly shaped and have scabby spots on them

The one with the disease bark is a "winecrisp" apple tree. The dark sunken in spots on the bark are kind of spongy or soft like corkwood

20190815_081448.jpg20190815_105527.jpg

Thank you!

Does anybody have any idea? thanks in advance

I would guess the bark is some kind of bacterial canker, but I can't say for sure. I've seen fireblight cankers on limbs that look similar too. You might clean the spots out real good and get them to heal over, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

The misshapen apples are from insect damage while the fruit was developing rather than a disease. I would guess Apple Curculio, but other insects can cause similar damage.

For a picture of a fireblight camker, look at page 4 on the following link:
https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs...t-Disease-Fact-Sheet-Acimovic-2018-z0a739.pdf

Last edited:
First picture (bark) could be Anthracnose, aka, "Bull’s-eye rot", although I have not experience it in my orchard.
Apple's look like insect damage by plum curculio.

Last edited:
thank you!

I would guess the bark is some kind of bacterial canker, but I can't say for sure. I've seen fireblight cankers on limbs that look similar too. You might clean the spots out real good and get them to heal over, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

The misshapen apples are from insect damage while the fruit was developing rather than a disease. I would guess Apple Curculio, but other insects can cause similar damage.

For a picture of a fireblight camker, look at page 4 on the following link:
https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs...t-Disease-Fact-Sheet-Acimovic-2018-z0a739.pdf

thanks for the link to the article, very good information there