2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

I've never been much for "book learnin' ". Watching You Tube videos was the way I learned to graft. There are some great ones out there if you look around.

Looking good Ed! - I learned a ton from all your postings - Thanks for taking the time & sharing!!...;)

As far as books & videos goes, I bought "The Grafters Handbook" by RJ Garner, but found the YouTube videos on grafting more helpful - here's one from Dan Busse that I like:

Here's a cleft graft I did to a wild crab. The scion wasn't pushed completely down into the roostock and seemed to heal over nicely. I think it's much more important to match up the cambium layers. I used parafilm to protect my grafts from drying out.
8-20-13002.jpg

This one is on B118 rootstock and was pushed down further into the rootstock.
RedLimbertwig9-12-13010-1.jpg

These pics were taken last fall of spring grafts.

Looking good Ed! - I learned a ton from all your postings - Thanks for taking the time & sharing!!...;)

As far as books & videos goes, I bought "The Grafters Handbook" by RJ Garner, but found the YouTube videos on grafting more helpful - here's one from Dan Busse that I like:

Dan Bussey is the instructor at the weston orchard grafting class I have attended twice now. Real nice guy and a total apple nut.

take smsmith's advice and keep your scions in Your beer fridge.
If there is no room in the beer fridge for scions, call sandbur:D to help.

"The Grafters Handbook" is an oldie but a very thorough goodie. It has been revised many times. I have the most current revision. You tube videos are very helpful as well.

Here you go folks. The adventures continue.

April 26, 2014
CameraZOOM-20140426110109070.jpg

May 17, 2014 - Goldrush
CameraZOOM-20140517110023863.jpg

So far Goldrush is the only one that has any movement at all. The others have some really nice swelled up buds, not break throughs or green. Had about 6-8" of rain this past week so moisture is plentiful, it's also been cool. Perfect conditions for healing! The forecast for the next 10 days is upper 60's low 70s, I expect a bunch of these to pop by the next time I make it over there for more pics.

Fun stuff!

I use teflon plumbing tape, last year I pulled it off on August 4th.

CameraZOOM-20130804124405825.jpg

Capture.JPG

Great photos!! About how long did you wait to take your grafting tape off?

With the parafilm I just let it deteriorate in it's own. Usually by Aug-Sept it's gone.

I tried to make a rough count and assessment today of what looks like it's alive and growing and what didn't make it. Looks like i'm at about 76% success, 24% failure. Which I have to say i'm pretty happy about. Last year I was right at like 55% so my rate of success is improving. We'll see in another month or two but some of the trees are really off and running. My best trees probably have 10" of new growth. I'll try and post some pictures soon.

I grafted 122 total, if I get 80 trees I will be more than busy!

What do you guys do if one of your grafts is flowering? I top worked a flowering crab, with a cortland, I believe. It wasn't a one stemmed scion, it had a little branch about an 1" long off it(first time using a scion like this...was a little low on scion). That bud appears to be flowering. I never had a graft do this. I'm think I'll just cut the flower cluster off, just wondering the best time?

What do you guys do if one of your grafts is flowering? I top worked a flowering crab, with a cortland, I believe. It wasn't a one stemmed scion, it had a little branch about an 1" long off it(first time using a scion like this...was a little low on scion). That bud appears to be flowering. I never had a graft do this. I'm think I'll just cut the flower cluster off, just wondering the best time?

You want the graft to grow wood so yes you want to pinch or cut the flowers off so the tree doesn't waste energy trying to produce fruit yet. I usually do it as soon as I see a blossom start to form.

I'll cut them off, now, thanks. I just want the graft to take, the rest will fall into place haha

Here's a few pics from my Nursery. Things are going pretty well. I think I am still hovering around that 75% success rate.

CameraZOOM-20140601122652002.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140601122708186.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140601122717755.jpg

Here's a pair of August 2013 T-Buds. Zestar!

I think I have 5 of these. All 5 were failed April 2013 W&T grafts that I successfully t-budded in August. When I did the tbudding I think I put 2 buds on each of the 5 rootstocks. I think I went 9 for 10 success. Of course you only need 1 good t-bud per tree.
CameraZOOM-20140601122736596.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140601122743214.jpg

Here's a few more shots from the nursery.

Centurion Crab front and center from GreyPhase
CameraZOOM-20140601122807135.jpg

Lots of healthy trees here in the 8-12" of growth stage

CameraZOOM-20140601122813175.jpg

That's a good looking bunch of trees you got there Matt.

in my opinion yes. I moved mine from total darkness in my basement to the north side of my garage near the window. they were by the window I think a week the moved outside to my garden. had a bed sheet over them for a few days and then full sun ever since. I think you are plenty good.

I ended up grafting to 3 of the 5-6 trunks. I figured it was good practice, and they can have a Frankenstein tree or just select whatever they like best and cut down the rest. I gave them a nice selection of mostly disease resistant varieties.

Liberty, Galarina, Goldrush and Pristine. Early/Mid/Late maturity.

CameraZOOM-20140426110057743.jpg

Here we are June 5th, 2014! Liberty, Goldrush and Pristine all with good movement and growth. When do you guys trim down to 1 or 2 leaders? I don't exactly want to grow a bush here.

goldrush%25206%25205%25202014%2520IMG_1087.jpg

liberty%25206%25205%25202014%2520IMG_1090.jpg

pristine%25206%25205%25202014IMG_1088.jpg

Personally I would probably let them grow for at least this summer. There is plenty of root to keep them all growing healthy. One shoot or another is bound to look better than the other after a few months and then the choice will be easier.