They continue to impress me

Correct me if I'm wrong but that area is the highest priced farmland in the nation. In some cases I think large livestock operations are the buyers.
I live in Sioux County, you are correct. Major livestock area and extremely expensive land. Feed lots, large dairies, and hog confinements are everywhere.

I'm a contractor and it's a great place to be for that business, not so great for my land owning ambitions though. I own some land up here but most of what I own is a couple counties south where prices aren't as high.

Saw this today and thought about this thread. Somewhat in your neck of the woods. Makes me sick to see
400 acre tract
Could split in smaller tracts for more money.

77 acres at $5400 an ac.

72 acres at $5400 an ac.

116 acres at $5400 an ac.

135 acres at 45400 an ac.

Skimmed through a Facebook group for my area real quick and saw several 200+ acre tracts sold and offered recently
dd589c2bf201652b3be1933c5ac0d929.jpg

. It’s possible these farms were sold to be split off, but I’m not seeing a disproportionate amount of farms getting fractured….maybe it’s just how I’m looking at it tho.

b7c5ff3a8afbfcc972faa884c77402b7.jpg

f08192ddbd814f58b2ffc78d9e9f240f.jpg

901e10a5a371e5f4a64893a712bd97e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first got to MO I looked at a great 320 acre farm in Harrison county for $320K. Wish I bought that place! It was nice but I though it was to much land because I knew nothing about MO at the time. DOhhh, Now I'm up to 412 where I'm at because the neighbors keep offering me land.🤪
If I ever sell it will be all on piece.

There’s controversy in the air in Iowa. The DNR eliminated party hunting for Nonresidents during the gun seasons.

Keep in mind it’s a 3 to 5 year wait to draw a tag in Iowa. Guys that owned land or had connections to land (such as former Iowa residents) cannot come back and party hunt anymore.

Fireworks from Nonresidents and Residents right now. The DNR phone is ringing off the hook .

Many guys used this as a deer camp situation where you invite a local hunter or two and then they hunted together for bucks and does.

They changed the rules now. The local Iowa guys used to say “you knew the rules when you bought” .. that argument is out the window .

A lot of pissed off hunters ! Some locals are fine with it as not everyone likes the rule.

There’s controversy in the air in Iowa. The DNR eliminated party hunting for Nonresidents during the gun seasons.

Keep in mind it’s a 3 to 5 year wait to draw a tag in Iowa. Guys that owned land or had connections to land (such as former Iowa residents) cannot come back and party hunt anymore.

Fireworks from Nonresidents and Residents right now. The DNR phone is ringing off the hook .

Many guys used this as a deer camp situation where you invite a local hunter or two and then they hunted together for bucks and does.

They changed the rules now. The local Iowa guys used to say “you knew the rules when you bought” .. that argument is out the window .

A lot of pissed off hunters ! Some locals are fine with it as not everyone likes the rule.
So explain party hunting to someone who has never experienced it please. What are the literal rules and what are the loopholes that were used.

So explain party hunting to someone who has never experienced it please. What are the literal rules and what are the loopholes that were used.
I think party hunting is when you shoot a deer and then celebrate by slamming a 12 pack.

Skimmed through a Facebook group for my area real quick and saw several 200+ acre tracts sold and offered recently
dd589c2bf201652b3be1933c5ac0d929.jpg

. It’s possible these farms were sold to be split off, but I’m not seeing a disproportionate amount of farms getting fractured….maybe it’s just how I’m looking at it tho.

b7c5ff3a8afbfcc972faa884c77402b7.jpg

f08192ddbd814f58b2ffc78d9e9f240f.jpg

901e10a5a371e5f4a64893a712bd97e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would like to see what the written land description looks like for the 431 acre parcel.

If your group has 8 guys and say 12 tags you can all hunt until the tags are filled .

You can tag another persons deer. In Iowa this is very common during gun season . You can’t do it during Archery or Muzzy .

It’s very odd, because the DNR used to defend it as a way to help the overall deer harvest .

So, hypothetically of course, 8 guys with 12 tags (do they all have to be on the same piece of property or can it be spread across the whole state), and 1 guy wants to be the man, pays the other 7 to stay in bed, and over the course of the season shoots 12 bucks that’s technically legal?

So, hypothetically of course, 8 guys with 12 tags (do they all have to be on the same piece of property or can it be spread across the whole state), and 1 guy wants to be the man, pays the other 7 to stay in bed, and over the course of the season shoots 12 bucks that’s technically legal?
Supposed to be close . One farm or adjacent land. In Iowa a lot of parties walk stuff, push creek bottoms, timber . Deer drives.

Supposed to be close . One farm or adjacent land. In Iowa a lot of parties walk stuff, push creek bottoms, timber . Deer drives.
Interesting. Seems like a rule that could be abused super easily.

Interesting. Seems like a rule that could be abused super easily.
It can be abused, but it’s a real sore spot with many landowners. They invite people to hunt as a party . Thats why the DNR is getting a lot of calls .

I get it but the loss of hunting opportunities is directly tied to loss of land due to development and fragmentation. Nonresidents are a symptom of a larger problem that isn’t getting fixed ever, only exacerbated. So while it’s nice to reminisce about the olden days, it’s now come down to who values it more financially unfortunately. It sucks but it’s reality.
I’m curious what the state reps are doing to incentivize the out of state landowners and the outfitter over the local guy?
Ag land may in your neck of the woods, I’m not well versed in taxes. My county reappraised ours this past year. The land combined with houses and shops hurt. My cash rent payment doesn’t cover it anymore.
Raise your rent

You're a NR landowner in Iowa, what are your thoughts on it and will it change your attitude towards your land?

It can be abused, but it’s a real sore spot with many landowners. They invite people to hunt as a party . Thats why the DNR is getting a lot of calls .
Do many states do this? I’ve never really heard of besides Iowa and maybe Minnesota and Michigan?

This also goes back to a point I made earlier. Iowa could alleviate some of the nonresident landowner drama if in lieu of party hunting they allowed landowners over say 50 acres (just a guess at a reasonable number) to get a buck tag every year. But just one for the landowner and if there’s 10 people on the deed you have to establish a principal partner. I know it’s not perfect but it may be better than what they are going to face from people who bought 10 years ago thinking they could hunt a buck every year by party hunting.

This also goes back to a point I made earlier. Iowa could alleviate some of the nonresident landowner drama if in lieu of party hunting they allowed landowners over say 50 acres (just a guess at a reasonable number) to get a buck tag every year. But just one for the landowner and if there’s 10 people on the deed you have to establish a principal partner. I know it’s not perfect but it may be better than what they are going to face from people who bought 10 years ago thinking they could hunt a buck every year by party hunting.
I think they already have a buck tag for landowners but it's only resident landowners who get that benefit.

You're a NR landowner in Iowa, what are your thoughts on it and will it change your attitude towards your land?

It bothers me a lot . I’ve been in Iowa for 20 years roughly. The tags are very limited already . This December gun hunt allowed us to buy like 1 buck tag and a couple doe tags . We’d be picky and only shoot a bully buck or a real big one. Harvest a few does .

It’s fun, deer camp at a cabin . Beer, steaks after the hunt. A great time . It was harmless, and now they shut it down .

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think party hunting is an archery, muzzy thing. But this is a gun season that has a tradition of group hunts. It’s in their DNA, and they like the camaraderie of friends, relatives and neighbors getting together (resident or nonresident).