All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Land of Milk and Honey

That is a SWEET setup. The 4 row would be awesome for milo. I really wish I would have bought a setup like this and added a mid-range skidsteer instead of buying a 40 hp Kubota with FEL.

Gonna get brush meters next with Milo and soybean plates. Ought to be able to do it all then. Notice behind my planter you can see another planter?! Would make someone a great plot planter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran out of corn… 🫤 Either my field is bigger than I thought, the bags of corn I was given weren’t as full as I thought, or I messed up the population settings. I’m going with population settings. looks like I will have a .25 acre or so turnip patch hidden in my corn field…

Nothing wrong with a secret plot🙂

Have you tried daiken radish,my deer eat them 10X better than turnips

[mention]Catscratch [/mention] if you thought the canopy was legit, get a load of this sexy beast! 3020 with a hard cab! Corn going in tomorrow!
cac525d598ae8b3ac1ae3304dd779417.jpg

Please tell me that has a working AC... other wise hottest thing on earth to drive! Pretty awesome setup!!!

Please tell me that has a working AC... other wise hottest thing on earth to drive! Pretty awesome setup!!!

204 AC. 2 open windows, 04 miles per hour down the road! It’s actually not bad with the side and back windows open. I told dad I’m gonna get to work on this tractor next. It needs a little work, but will pull the whole earth if you needed it to.

Have you tried daiken radish,my deer eat them 10X better than turnips

I will probably order a little extra of my fall mix. Turnips, radishes and a few clovers. Has served me well in the past.

I tried radish and turnips for a few years. Nothing touched them, but they sure looked good 🙂

My deer will eventually eat it all, even if it’s not til February. This year everything droughted out and the deer were looking pretty rough this spring.

They won't eat my turnip and radish bulbs, but they love radish tops. I can tell ya a field of rotting turnips smells horrible in the spring. Don't plant them up wind of the house...

Right at .6” of rain today. That should be just right to activate my preemerge herbicide. Since it came over 12 hours, the ground should have really soaked that up. I’d love to show you boys some pics of nice clean corn rows coming up soon. I’ve got a plan in my head for this fall. Some tall corn would help me lay it out. Ol’ One-eye should take notice.

204 AC. 2 open windows, 04 miles per hour down the road! It’s actually not bad with the side and back windows open. I told dad I’m gonna get to work on this tractor next. It needs a little work, but will pull the whole earth if you needed it to.

Cheap A/C 😁 Need a 12 V fan though.

cooler air.jpg

Here's the plan. Deer like to enter my plot in what we call the SW corner even though it is basically West. The yellow area is a NWSG buffer I just planted this year. The green is my corn. My plan would be to mow the corn North of the red line first (early October?), hoping deer will want to feed there, but walk around the standing corn rather than through it to get there. There is a bur oak that is ripe for a stand at the marker and they would be a chip shot away as they rounded the corner of the standing corn. I would only mow the corn parallel with the stand so I could still use the remaining standing corn as escape cover. As the season progresses I would eventually mow the rest of the corn for rifle season and possibly leave strips standing. Of course they will all then start using the SE corner of the field to enter, but that's the fun! 😂 The field straight East of mine is soybeans, and my Redneck blind is along the East edge of my field, so I would be well positioned there if they decided to pass through my field to those beans. The standing corn left in front of that blind will be my escape cover there. I like how this is shaping up. 😊
The Plan.png

That looks like a good plan. When the deer some from the SW, are they bedding in the open area that looks grassy in the aerial photo?

I wish we could mow standing corn in Minnesota, but it is illegal here. You can hunt standing corn and you can hunt corn combined or chopped for ag purposes, but you can't mow standing corn and hunt over it.

That looks like a good plan. When the deer some from the SW, are they bedding in the open area that looks grassy in the aerial photo?

I wish we could mow standing corn in Minnesota, but it is illegal here. You can hunt standing corn and you can hunt corn combined or chopped for ag purposes, but you can't mow standing corn and hunt over it.
They usually come from there or even further. All of it is tall NWSG with osage orange and ERC throughout. It is probably 100' higher in elevation too. All on the neighbors, but their access is non-existent. All the deer bed there and we are both trying to pull them in opposite directions. Us into the bottom and them up on top.