All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Neighbor Thread

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
The what happened to the neighbor thread looks like it could easily go south so I am starting this one.
I will keep it very civil even though it is similar in some ways to the original thread.

This is my situation, I’ve got twelve acres that I live on which of eight acres is woods. I also have a lifetime hunting lease on the seventy acres to my east and south. I will live on this property the rest of my life and pass it down to my family. We also own another thirty five miles down the road.

The farm to my west sold two years ago to a very successful young farmer in his early thirties, his family farms a lot of ground in the area and he grew up about a mile from me. He owns a half a dozen farms close by, is a very nice guy I’ve talked with him a half a dozen times.
His views on land management are crops crops crops…every inch of ground. He does not like trees shrubs or grass at all.
Me, I am the polar opposite. I don’t care about crops at all, I’m about habitat and wildlife, deer, bunnies, squirrels, birds, bugs and bees.

The small snag….

The young guy to my west crowds the property line bad. He unintentionally/intentionally gets on my ground.

Two years ago when he planted beans.

IMG_7493.jpeg
The yellow tile post marker is the survey pin, it is obviously on me six to eight feet or more. This is behind my pond literally my front yard.
I didn’t like the encroachment at all.

Last spring I had to have the whole property re-surveyed because of the septic system rules in my county and recreational zoning vs residential, so property lines and pins are very fresh and clearly marked…again.

This spring the young farmer came along the woods with a skid steer bush hog grinding the west end of my woods back.
There is an old fence along edge of woods, it is not the property line, property line is three feet in front of it. There is some growth and lots of over hanging branches out into/over his field.
IMG_7496.jpeg

While he was grinding I went out and talked with him. Told him how wife and I are all about nature, he looked at me like I was kind of crazy.
Told him that we just had it all surveyed last summer, it was same surveyor that he used when he bought that new ground.
He asked me where the line actually was he thought it was fence, I said no it’s a few feet in front of it and we like the old fence.
I told him I completely understood the need to trim back and that he could toss the trimmings and small trees over the fence for bunny cover. His plan was to pile it up and burn it.
I even pointed out the marking flags at each corner of woods and up at road.
Was all cordial.

This is what he ended up doing all along the fence pushing fence over and back into woods.
IMG_7494.jpeg
I didn’t like that.

Took these pics just now while standing on property line.
IMG_7497.jpeg
IMG_7495.jpeg

If you look you can see the yellow posts at pins and flags.

I want to get along, and I get the farmer mentality my Dad was the same way. I don’t want to be a dick but might have to.
I’ve got a little patch and want to be left alone.
He has hundreds of acres and wants to make a living with it and hand it down to his kids.

Thoughts?

Seems like a great time to have a very in depth discussion. The young guy is all about farming and making money (great motives), but clearly doesn't understand your position of not farming every square inch of ground.
Sometimes people have conversations and think they understand where the other person stands...but they really have no clue.
Being a dick is always the last resort, but when you've exhausted all other means of communication (e.g. talking to each other face to face a few times) it may be your only option.

Looks like trees are out. LOL. I wouldn’t plant trees or anything on the line as they will get killed either by sprayer or tillage. I’d put in some heavy posts right on the line. Every 50-100 ft. Whatever you think . Put a bit of paint on them so they’re visible. He won’t run his equipment past or over the posts. Be prepared to have one accidentaly knocked over once in a while. I think you just need a visual there.

Looks like trees are out. LOL. I wouldn’t plant trees or anything on the line as they will get killed either by sprayer or tillage. I’d put in some heavy posts right on the line. Every 50-100 ft. Whatever you think . Put a bit of paint on them so they’re visible. He won’t run his equipment past or over the posts. Be prepared to have one accidentaly knocked over once in a while. I think you just need a visual there.
Agree. Hang up a string and at least get a few posts in the ground. Don't even need to build a fence. He'll stay on his side of the posts.

The would chap my ass. Your world doesn’t need to be inconvenienced cause he wants to make money. If you were a tree farmer would he be cool with you planting several feet into his property? Id run some kind of cheap fence down the line I guess.

Send him a invoice for the rent of your land.

Whatever you do don't set foot on his land , or people on here will cry you were trespassing , even if you are just trying to get a better view of the damage HE CAUSED. YOU are only allowed to walk or drive up up his driveway and some people on here will still get mad and offended at that , and will have their rod cocked and loaded.... so you really can't win.

IF it was me I'd put a row of 6 foot T posts painted blaze orange all along the property line spaced 15 or 16 foot apart , and a inch to a inch and a half away from the line . That's what I have on my back property line, and repaint them every 3 years or so.

The what happened to the neighbor thread looks like it could easily go south so I am starting this one.
I will keep it very civil even though it is similar in some ways to the original thread.

This is my situation, I’ve got twelve acres that I live on which of eight acres is woods. I also have a lifetime hunting lease on the seventy acres to my east and south. I will live on this property the rest of my life and pass it down to my family. We also own another thirty five miles down the road.

The farm to my west sold two years ago to a very successful young farmer in his early thirties, his family farms a lot of ground in the area and he grew up about a mile from me. He owns a half a dozen farms close by, is a very nice guy I’ve talked with him a half a dozen times.
His views on land management are crops crops crops…every inch of ground. He does not like trees shrubs or grass at all.
Me, I am the polar opposite. I don’t care about crops at all, I’m about habitat and wildlife, deer, bunnies, squirrels, birds, bugs and bees.

The small snag….

The young guy to my west crowds the property line bad. He unintentionally/intentionally gets on my ground.

The yellow tile post marker is the survey pin, it is obviously on me six to eight feet or more. This is behind my pond literally my front yard.

Last spring I had to have the whole property re-surveyed because of the septic system rules in my county and recreational zoning vs residential, so property lines and pins are very fresh and clearly marked…again.

This spring the young farmer came along the woods with a skid steer bush hog grinding the west end of my woods back.
There is an old fence along edge of woods, it is not the property line, property line is three feet in front of it. There is some growth and lots of over hanging branches out into/over his field.

While he was grinding I went out and talked with him. Told him how wife and I are all about nature, he looked at me like I was kind of crazy.
Told him that we just had it all surveyed last summer, it was same surveyor that he used when he bought that new ground.
He asked me where the line actually was he thought it was fence, I said no it’s a few feet in front of it and we like the old fence.
I told him I completely understood the need to trim back and that he could toss the trimmings and small trees over the fence for bunny cover. His plan was to pile it up and burn it.
Was all cordial.

This is what he ended up doing all along the fence pushing fence over and back into woods.

I didn’t like that.

I want to get along, and I get the farmer mentality my Dad was the same way. I don’t want to be a dick but might have to.
He has hundreds of acres and wants to make a living with it and hand it down to his kids.

Thoughts?

H2O, I think you are past the talking stage at this point. He knows fully where the property line is and is seeing how far he can push you. Time for you to take some action so he understands you won't accept this behavior. Put in some good strong fence posts and run a a wire or town down the line. The I would plant rows of poplar and spruce along that line.

I put up steel fenceposts on property boundaries and that works for me. He won’t want to hit steel posts with his equipment, so that will likely solve the problem permanently.

Whatever you do don't set foot on his land , or people on here will cry you were trespassing , even if you are just trying to get a better view of the damage HE CAUSED. YOU are only allowed to walk or drive up up his driveway and some people on here will still get mad and offended at that , and will have their rod cocked and loaded.... so you really can't win.
Tact isn't your thing, obviously. It appears nuance escapes you as well.

The reason the boys came after you about your trespassing was because you were up in arms about your neighbor's crew trespassing on your property. That's called hypocrisy.

For your eloquent paragraph to H20fwlr to be remotely relevant, H20 would have had to destroy his neighbor's crops after his neighbor damaged H20's trees. Then the boys here could start in on H20 about the "eye for an eye" mentality you seem to carry.

To the OP, I think posts that are clearly marked is a start. I would also approach him when you get the chance and explain the posts are there to protect further damage to your trees and fence. It would be neighborly(IMO) to let him know at this time that if any branches cross the posts, you agree that it is your responsibility to cut them back as to not adversely effect his crop.

I’d wait and see where he plants. If you’ve got a fence there, the most he can take is three feet. It’s shitty he dropped some crap on your fence, but I’d let that one go.

If he plants as tight as possible to you, he ain’t that bright. Those rows along the woods don’t yield for shit anyway. He may just not want to run brush and ant hills thru his bean head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd kinda wait and see also. A six foot strip of beans isn't going to bring him much revenue, especially the outside rows. May even have been someone working for him that is clueless.
If he plants it you may want to just request that he leaves it for your critters to eat over the winter.

I definitely have a few trees over the line yet, and he definitely cut a bunch of my trees and knocked my fence down and pushed it into woods in a couple spots. Throwing the stuff over the fence would have been fine just not ruining the fence. That was not cool, many landowners around here that farm wouldn’t care, I do.

His dad comes down the road with a riding mower and mows the ditches along road like a yard where they farm right up to the crops from spring till fall.
Last year I was at my bee hives and he came mowing down my side of property line behind our pond. Right over the flagged survey stakes. He was surprised to see me, I went right to him and told him I didn’t need that mowed at all and just leave it alone. He quit mowing and backed out and left it alone the rest of summer.
I totally get they like the clean look, I do too in my yard. That part of the property I’m going to plant some trees and shrubs all the way to the road. Already broadcast all kind of native grasses there and up the back side of hill towards pond. Deer go through back there all the time, it’s going into wildlife habitat.

Bucks make scrape lines all down the west end of woods in fall. It is a deer highway year round along there.
I agree him pushing over a row or two trying to farm on the property edge or over some along the woods will not gain him hardly any yield.
He just doesn’t give a crap about wildlife and nature at all. I like when he plants corn every other year it makes the deer hunting better.

From road to back of my property can’t hardly be 350 yards, he farms a lot of ground I don’t need crops on me. Corners are marked very well I’m sure his equipment has GPS.

I like the guy OK, I just want to be left alone. I’m sure we will have a couple more discussions before it sinks into that clean farmer brain of his.

I'd be frustrated if I were you. "Good fences make good neighbors" comes to mind.
I like the suggestions about knocking some posts in the ground to mark the boundary. I've done that on a couple properties where there is no fence to mark. It's just better if everyone knows where the line is.

The small snag….

View attachment 64280

View attachment 64281

Was all cordial.

View attachment 64282
I didn’t like that.

View attachment 64283
View attachment 64284

Thoughts?

You would not be a dick for standing up for your property rights! He's the dick, whether he did it or paid someone to do it, he's responsible.

I would just ask the guy straight up how often he wants you driving through his field to get to parts of your property because, it's more convenient for you?

Ask him how, when his crops are almost mature he would consider you driving through his field to do your habitat re-establishment and maintenance on your property that he damaged?

Is he going to replant all of the habitat that you had to make you whole?

If your neighbor took your property today, he'll take more tomorrow or next week or next year, and he'll know you'll do nothing.

Maybe it's time you put the posts in every 15 feet and then have your attorney draft a trespassing letter to send it to him. This will surely end this situation quickly. I had my attorney draft a letter to someone who decided driving their atv across my land without permission was ok. 30 years later not a problem ever again and we are now good friends and we now control the the area so all our neighbors are not bothered by trespassing and our homes are safe. Something to ponder

Send him a invoice for the rent of your land.

Had a friend that thought he got his neighbor that way. The neighbor sent him a check for next to nothing, as crop rent goes, then did another 20-30 ft the next year. No local govco would get involved as he had told the guy to pay him rent and he did.

Ended up that after a couple/3 years the farmer quit pushing after my friend spent a chunk with a lawyer to push. The farmer spent nothing, did nothing and laughed when he put up new survey stakes. It was just a game for him.

The tillage could've been a mistake by a rookie or a young operator. My sons will make their 1st pass around a yard someday. Trust me they'll be white knuckles and sweating. Depending on where the opposite corner post is and where you are standing, the perspective could be quite a few feet or only a few feet. Can't tell from only 1 picture. The bulldozing in of the fence would make me mad. Talk it all over with him and see if you can sort things out without lawsuits.

I have a small farm operation so here is my take.

1. On the line where he is CLEARLY overplanting onto your land I would go out there tomorrow and pound a post every 50-100 feet. You can slip either a rain gutter downspout over it or take some 3-4" white PVC pipe and and make some 3-4 foot chunks and then put a cap on them and slip them over the pipe so they are visible from 1/2 mile away. Not one damn reason for him to be on your side of the line there if its really that bad. I wouldn't give 2 shits if he had standing corn or beans there either. I would kill everything on my side of the line if I didn't want it there. That shit would not fly with me.

2. On the line where your trees are hanging into his field I can definitely see why he wants them knocked back. I think he is well within his right to remove limbs from your trees hanging into his field. You should have let him pile the crap on his side and burn it. Instead he might have thought he was doing what you wanted. Woods that encroach onto field just keep being more and more of a problem. The trees choke out a few rows of production, but more importantly they have a chance to do real damage to the equipment. He should have the right to farm right up to the property line. It is frustrating in the farming world to deal with other people's trees. I bet if you would keep the edge maintained he would have no problem staying on his side. As the tree limbs from your side grow out they can push the tractors, combines and planters 10-15 feet away from the boundary to safely farm their own ground.

I'd be talking to them sooner than later that's for damn sure.