All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old cast iron pans

how big was that #13?

how big was that #13?
Very big. There's no way my wife would want to move it around. My current largest is a slant logo 11.
The same shop had a 20 a few years ago that I wish I would have bought. That would have looked cool by the fireplace. Kind of like a bear trap!😄

Yeah but a #13 is like the Holy Grail.
I was going to say $1000. I wouldn't pay that much let alone what you're going to say. Probably hoping for $5000

I scored a couple today. They're in the grill right now :)

Attachments

• 20231215_112602.jpg
    20231215_112602.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
Wow that’s crazy

I did a search before guessing, but you had already posted the price. There is one on Etsy that is a bargain at $5000.

Absolutely nuts......IMO. Wanna buy a Mikey Mouse watch? $2500 = bargain.

Absolutely nuts......IMO. Wanna buy a Mikey Mouse watch? $2500 = bargain.
It could be worse. You could be collecting 1959 Les Paul's.
Try pricing those sometime.

So the barbecue grill thing works. But I've found it works better if I put them through the electrolysis first. It must loosen up the deep grunge.

Two more pieces.
A WAPAK #7 circa 1903-1910. This thing has done time on hot coals.

IMG_3100.jpegIMG_3099.jpegIMG_3128.jpegIMG_3127.jpeg

And a Griswold Dutch Oven circa 1920 - to when they closed in the late 40's

IMG_3104.jpegIMG_3103.jpegIMG_3123.jpegIMG_3124.jpeg

One more oldie in the electric bath now...

So I’m from Erie, my parents gave me a number of the griswolds. Including a super tiny one. If they are bringing that much money I should sell them!

So I’m from Erie, my parents gave me a number of the griswolds. Including a super tiny one. If they are bringing that much money I should sell them!
Depends on what you have.

If they have spiders cast into them, I'm interested. :)

If they have spiders cast into them, I'm interested. :)
No kidding! That's one I'd pay some big bucks for.

I dont know much about cast iron values.....but doing a quick look on marketplace.....and I could but 50 pieces of Griswold for the price of that pan shown. As said.....I don't know much.....but that is a high price to pay for iron.

I dont know much about cast iron values.....but doing a quick look on marketplace.....and I could but 50 pieces of Griswold for the price of that pan shown. As said.....I don't know much.....but that is a high price to pay for iron.

That price is for the nutjob that thinks he has to have one. #13 was big so they didn't make many, making it rare. #13 was superstitious so not a lot of people wanted one adding to the rare.
It's the 71 Hemi cuda convertible of the pan world. Just gayer 🤣

Man I’m learning a ton from this thread. I had no idea cast iron pans were collectible.

I have both of my grandmothers cast iron skillets. I’m gonna go check them out. Ha

Just say'n.

Last one unless I stumble onto something in passing.
Not exactly sure of the date. Somewhere between 1890 and 1905 is as close as I can get. 3rd series Erie with some hot coal burns on the bottom.

IMG_3101.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3143.jpeg
IMG_3142.jpeg

I seasoned two a bit more yesterday.

Brazed pork
IMG_3134.jpeg

Finished in the Dutch oven
IMG_3135.jpeg

Thats really cool!

Nice. We did a roast in the Dutch oven yesterday, too.