ID this Forb

farmlegend

A good 3 year old buck
This stuff has invaded my fledgling prairie big time this spring. Mostly found in the wetter, clayish areas. Has not yet flowered so there’s no clue there. Extreme southern Michigan.

Not terribly concerned about it except for the fact that I cannot identify it, unlike most of the forbs I see at my place.

Attachments

• IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    751.9 KB · Views: 72
Could it be early sunflower?

Could it be early sunflower?
I don’t believe so. The only sunflowers I have out there are Maximiliam and they only show up much later and usually in the better-drained spots. Good guess though, it sort of has that look.

Woolly verbena maybe? Flowers are distinct and should be obvious later if it is. We have a bunch this spring too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly verbena maybe? Flowers are distinct and should be obvious later if it is. We have a bunch this spring too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think so - from what I can see, it’s also called vervain; I have some of that and it looks different; not as “squatty” as this stuff, and leaves look different. Like you say, the flowers would be a dead giveaway. Anxious to see what the blooms look like.

I dont think the leaves look quite right for Verbena. I can't i.d that one, hopefully it is beneficial and non-invasive!

This stuff has invaded my fledgling prairie big time this spring. Mostly found in the wetter, clayish areas. Has not yet flowered so there’s no clue there. Extreme southern Michigan.

Not terribly concerned about it except for the fact that I cannot identify it, unlike most of the forbs I see at my place.
is that just natural evolution, or were you out there trying to establish something and doing some spraying and tillage?

is that just natural evolution, or were you out there trying to establish something and doing some spraying and tillage?
This is within a NWSG and forb planting that I planted in June 2022. I’m sure this particular forb is an invader.

Looks like a type of false sunflower aka Heliopsis. Should get rather tall and blooms in late summer. If it is, it was probably in the mix and has finally gotten established.

I'm with Ben. That looks a lot like a sunflower.

This is within a NWSG and forb planting that I planted in June 2022. I’m sure this particular forb is an invader.
I would check the mix label and google up photos for comparison to the unsub

apologies in advance for the gratuitous Criminal Minds reference

bill

I don’t believe it was part of my seed mix, as it has sprouted up in many places on my farm, including this specimen nearly a mile away. IMG_3441.jpeg

It has been identified my man. False sunflower is a great forb in native grass mixes.

They come up native all over my place. I consider them similar to ragweed

Waiting on the blooms to confirm.

Thanks!

That plant ID app was using your picture.

Looks like some form of a native cup plant to me. We have a bunch of it in our prairie.

The picture you posted on Saturday is not the same plant as the first pictures you posted at the beginning of the thread. Your last picture is pokeweed - same as I'm holding below:

IMG_4094.jpeg

Last edited:
The picture you posted on Saturday is not the same plant as the first pictures you posted at the beginning of the thread. Your last picture is pokeweed - same as I'm holding below:

View attachment 64659
You are correct. Now that I'm home and have access to my desktop big screen I can see this more clearly than peering at my phone. Good catch!

Damn it is abundant in the portions of my prairie planting, and I never saw it at all in years one and two. That's sort of a cool thing about native forb/grass seeds. I'm looking forward to some other things perhaps appearing this season that I regarded as oddly absent last year.

Last edited: