Fish structures

One of the things you should consider is putting structure in you shallow areas 1'-2' for bait fish like minnows to lay their eggs on. They prefer the underside of flat surfaces in grasses or weedy areas to protect the spawn.

Wood pallets are a good choice.

Last edited:
We don’t normally fool with pond structure in our farm ponds do to the cattle but the one I cleaned out last fall will likely not see cattle again at least for the foreseeable future so I’m thinking of adding structure. I think I’m going to build a fathead minnow breeding area out of drain pipe or pvc pipe something similar to this photo. I also have old retired barbed wire and woven wire rolls I could toss in the pond for some structure until the aquatic weeds get established. I’ve also thought of strapping some plastic pallets together and sinking the stack. I also have an old 8’ directional boring pipe real I could use. Anyone else have any cheap effective idea’s?

You could sink a couple red, blue or orange tractors. Ain't none of them worth a damn....

For bluegill spawning, circles of pea gravel around 2'-3' diameter in size in 1'-2' of water are good. You can take plastic garbage top lids, Drill holes so they sink, then fill with pea gravel.

Anyone have ideas for spawning structures specific to Golden Shiners? I have GS in the pond but would love to encourage more of them. And no, I'm sinking a John Deere...

Anyone have ideas for spawning structures specific to Golden Shiners? I have GS in the pond but would love to encourage more of them. And no, I'm sinking a John Deere...
Rip rap maybe? I know herring and shad will spawn on the rocks on big reservoirs

They actually prefer weedy & grassy areas as they drop their eggs over them and the eggs adhere to the plants.

Golden Shiner Production

Well I ended up biulding a couple PVC pipe pyramids for fathead breading. I built one out of 3” pipe and one out of 6” pipe I had laying around, coved the pipe ends with chicken wire to keep larger fish out. I also cut several ERC and drug into the pond for a little more structure. Next year I’ll add a few bass